Thursday, August 30, 2007

Chunky Button Bag




Pdfs are confusing. But anyway, I finally wrote up the pattern for the crocheted Chunky Button Bag that I finished earlier this month. It's a very easy bag to make, perfect for a beginner. I made it into a pdf for easy printing and such:
I'll also post it here in case you don't want to do the pdf thing.
Chunky Button Bag

Designed by Kala Patterson

The Chunky Button Bag was completely inspired by the yarn I used. When worked in single crochet, Fantasy Naturale creates a very dense and sturdy fabric, perfect for a bag!


Finished Size: 12 ½ inches wide, 10 ½ inches long

Materials: Plymouth Yarn’s Fantasy Naturale (100 % cotton, 100g, 140 yards) – 3 skeins

Hook: US G (4.5mm) or size needed to obtain gauge

Notions: Yarn needle, 4 large buttons (the ones I used came from Joann and are about 1 ½ inches wide)

Gauge: 14 ½ single crochet = 4 inches

Special Stiches: Mesh Stich (Chain 2, skip 2 stitches, double crochet into the next stitch…) repeat across row. When you get to the end of the row, end with a double crochet.

Instructions

The Body of this bag is worked in single crochet in one long piece, from top to bottom, and is then seamed along the sides. The handles are worked separately and attatched later. The chunky buttons are the perfect finishing touch.

Chain 50.

Work in sc (single crochet) until the piece measures 2 inches (8 rows).

Chain 5, work one row of mesh stitch.

Work in sc until the piece measures 19 inches.

Chain 5, work 1 row of mesh stitch.

Work 2 more inches of single crochet (8 rows).

Finish off and weave in ends.

Seam up the long ends of the bag using mattress stitch or whip stitch. Weave in ends.

Make Handles (2): Chain 9; work in sc until the piece measures 14 ½ inches; sew the handles onto the front of the bag; weave in ends.

Sew chunky buttons to the front of the bag.

You’re done!


Copyright info: This is a free pattern designed by me, feel free to use it for your own personal use. If you do use it, please include a link back to this site.


11 comments:

affectioknitter said...

Nice job on the pattern - I'm sort of a bag junkie and I saved it to my pattern stash...

Thanks,

Teresa

LotusKnits said...

Super cute!!

Blue Ridge Mountain Girl said...

I really like the bag. It is definitely something I can make!

Blue Ridge Mountain Girl

Blue Ridge Mountain Girl said...

I really like the bag. It is definitely something I can make!

Blue Ridge Mountain Girl

B.F. said...

I can't wait to make this bag! I love the red and the buttons. Really great. :)

Michele Chastain said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing. I'm a new follower. Saw the link at Clara's Crochet blog.

cely said...

Love it super cute :) do you have videos of how to make this ???

Anonymous said...

Could this pattern be done in the round by sc on both sides of your original chain and then do sc up and then mesh stitch for one row and then back to sc to finish then do the handles? Just wondering, I hate to seam up stuff and try to figure out ways to make stuff without it.

Anonymous said...

Have made the chunky bag. One comment I have, when u single crotchet a row u do not specify at the end of the row that u have to chain one and turn, why is this

Anonymous said...

thats really a cool bag. my daughter likes those kind of things. maybe will give that a shot. thanks for sharing

MissDaisy said...

Totalmente de acuerdo con Anónimo. Es mejor tejer en redondo. Es una de las grandes virtudes del crochet. Queda perfecto, no hay costuras.
Con el medio punto o single crochet no es necesario hacer cadena de inicio. No se nota, se teje indefinidamente.
La estoy tejiendo así. Y en los extremos para dar amplitud, hice cinco medios puntos en la primera vuelta.
Gracias, por el tutorial. Saludos desde Argentina.
Amo el crochet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...