Friday, October 05, 2007

Halloween Project: Creepy Cheesecloth Stole



I've had this cheesecloth in my stash-o-craft supplies for quite some time. Maybe since last Halloween. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it, but it came to me on Wednesday, a creepy stole! This year for Halloween, I'm going to be a ghoul bride so this will be perfect for my costume. Here's how you can make one too:

Creepy Cheesecloth Stole:

Materials and tools

3 cups water
tea pot
4 bags of black tea
a large bowl that can hold boiling water
1 package of cheesecloth ( the one I used had 2 square yards of material, 100% cotton)

Instructions

1. In a tea pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Pour the water in the bowl and add the tea bags. Let the tea sit in the water until the liquid is very brown and has cooled down enough that you don't hurt yourself.

2. Unfold the cheesecloth from the package and add random rips and tears. Throw out the tea bags and add in the cheesecloth. Let this sit until the liquid has cooled down some more and the stole looks nice and dark.

3. Rinse out the excess tea from the stole in the sink. Much of the color will run out, leaving a nice light aged color.

4. Hang to dry and start spooking!


Here's a pic on the dummy so you can see more of the rip detail:







3 comments:

LotusKnits said...

Oooh...very cool!

Carla said...

What a great idea!

torrance said...

looks very cool and creepy!
I'm beginning to think you somewhat like halloween.. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...