Wednesday, October 03, 2007
Halloween Project: Spider Web Coasters
Oh how I love Halloween! I have a ton of orange and black felt and thought I should probably make something out of it, crazy eh? So I made this spider web coaster and plan to make at least three more. Here's how to:
Spider web Coasters
Tools and Materials:
2 squares of black acrylic felt – 5”
1 square of orange acrylic felt – 4”
1 package of jumbo rick rack (5/8”wide)
cutting tools and ruler
sewing thread and machine (optional)
a piece of tape
pearl cotton or embroidery floss
1. Pin the orange square of felt onto the black square, doing your best to center the orange.
2. With the sewing machine and black thread, sew a ¼” border around the orange square. If you don’t have a machine you can do this by hand.
3. Using the piece of tape as a guide, sew a few diagonal lines, one at a time within the 1/4” border.
4. Using the pearl cotton, embroider the rest of the lines for the web. Don’t worry about being perfect, real spider webs aren’t perfect or symmetrical!
5. Sandwich the rickrack between the plain black square and the piece that you’ve made the spider web on. Pin well and sew through all layers along the edge of the piece. For added detail, embroider a little spider onto your web. Enjoy!
Posted by VeganCraftastic at 2:04 PM