Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Tunes

Christmas music, you either love it or you loathe it with the intensity of 1,000 suns. I think I'm more in the first camp these days, but I'm a bit picky about which songs I can listen to. So in honor of the holidays, I thought I'd list my all time favorite songs of the season:

1. Jesse Malin - Xmas. Right now this is my fave, it has the right mix of melancholy and holiday imagery for a great song, definitely not a throwaway. I'm linking to the live version on Mercury Retrograde, but the original is on the must have album The Fine Art of Self Destruction.

2. The Raveonettes - The Christmas Song.

3. El Vez - Feliz Navidad. I prefer this version over the classic Jose Feliciano version but either is a must.

4. Eartha Kitt - Santa Baby.

5. Alvin and the Chipmunks - The Chipmunk Song. Yes, it can get annoying but it's not Christmas without the Chipmunks!

6. Beck - The Little Drum Machine Boy. I couldn't find an easy link to this so you'll have to listen to a sample on iTunes but it's worth it for all it's classic Beck weirdness.

7. Fiona Apple - Frosty the Snowman. Her strange voice is perfect for this song.

So what's your favorite holiday song? I'd love to know!

-

1 comment:

Hope said...

I love the Chipmunks christmas song- last year I listened to it so much that it went to the top of my last.fm. This year I have just been listening to the Nutcracker on repeat--its especially soothing when I'm cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...