Thursday, June 18, 2009

Book Review: Socks from the Toe Up





My husband Shane's birthday is coming up soon and I recently placed a present-filled order on Amazon. I also got a little something for myself: Socks from the Toe Up by Wendy D. Johnson. I haven't been too excited about socks the past few months, I think I had a bit of designer burnout, but lately footwear is creeping back into my mental queue.






Since I'm always up for new techniques, this book seemed perfect - I've never knit toe up socks before. First of all, the book itself is beautiful, the photography is crisp and bright and the styling is very modern and lovely. Those things are super important to me, if the pictures suck, I have a hard time being inspired.






The book starts with loads of techniques and information to get you started - several different toes, many types of cast ons, how to knit socks on different types and numbers of needles, lots of heels, and several bind offs and edges. The next section is a collection of basic sock patterns that looks great for learning new skills or for use as starting points for your own designs.






Then we get in into the gorgeous patterns which are organized by type: lace, textured gansey, cabled, and sportweight. My favorites right now are the Lace and Cable Socks, the Bavarian Cable Socks, and the Serpentine Socks. These are all gorgeous but I think I'll start with a basic sock to get my feet wet (ha!) in the toe-up world. Overall, I would totally recommend this book to all sock lovers, especially those who are new to toe up or who already love toe up and want a lovely book of patterns to choose from. So do any of you have this book? What are you knitting from it or look forward to knitting from it?



-

1 comment:

zimme345 said...

Hi Kala. I just got this book too...I think it's what I am going to take with me on the cruise. I hope it will be enough to keep me buy for a week...I have never knitting socks toe-up either, but I think I will start with the "vanilla" socks as well. I will let you know how it goes :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...