Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Muffin Quest




Muffin Quest, the eternal search for the perfect blueberry muffin. Every once in a while, I loves me a good muffin, and that good muffin is usually blueberry. But I haven’t really found a recipe that I love yet, not that I haven’t tried many of them. Last night I made two batches, first I made the Bakery Style Berry Muffins from Vegan Brunch and then I made a batch of the Blueberry Lemon Muffins from The Joy of Vegan Baking. First, the ones from Vegan Brunch:




Good texture, pretty good flavor, but there could definitely be improvements. The flavor just isn’t quite there for me. And the ones from The Joy of Vegan Baking:





I really don’t like the texture of these, they’re weirdly smooth. The flavor is good though, I like the lemon with the blueberry, it’s a nice combo. So maybe the perfect muffin is somewhere in between, more experimentation is needed! Do any of you have a great go-to blueberry muffin recipe?

-Kala

5 comments:

Mary said...

I figured out a good muffin formula last winter, and I've been basing muffins off of that ever since. It sounds like you want the flavor of the JoVB muffin with the VB texture. Maybe your ultimate muffin is a mash-up of those two recipes. Good luck! They both look good to me.

Liz said...

I'm assuming you've already tried the "Anything Goes Muffins" from _How it all Vegan_? That's my absolute favorite muffin recipe. I love it with cranberries, but I've done blueberry too.

Petra said...

I've recently tried the ones from Madhuram's eggless cooking, and really liked them:
http://www.egglesscooking.com/2009/03/02/vegan-blueberry-muffins/
But I haven't really tried a bunch before... :)

addi knitting said...

I am on a quest for the perfect apple muffin recipe. It never fails I always have one or two laying around that nobody seems to want to finish. If I made them into muffins that may change.

Jenny said...

If it's smooth the batter is too wet. Try adding more flour - and just fold the batter a few times, you want lumps of flour not smooth batter. Then get them into the oven quick as you can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...