Monday, November 09, 2009

A humble FO

Two actually:




While watching tv last night I whipped out a couple of super simple dishcloths! I've never even used a handmade dishcloth, but I have 3 skeins of Pakucho (88 yards of organic cotton) that I've been dying to try out so there you go. No pattern, I just chained about 18 and then half double crocheted until I thought it was tall enough, very low stress :) And the yarn, oh the yarn was amazing to work with! I'm not usually too much of a fan of 100% cotton, but this stuff is so soft and the subtle color variations are so lovely. And as I mentioned before, it's organic and the color is all natural, no chemical or dyes. We'll see how they work for actually cleaning dishes though, my husband says he's scared to use them because he doesn't want to mess up something I made :) Do any of you use knit or crocheted cloths for dishes or cleaning? Any great patterns to recommend?






-Kala

8 comments:

Katie said...

one of my first knit projects was a dishcloth out of plain ol' sugar 'n' cream, and i loved it so much i've made two more for me since. now everyone i live with agrees that handmade dishcloths are the best, and i wind up giving dishcloths for christmas when now i am fully capable of lacy berets, tiny-stiched gloves, and cabled arm-warmers! the first few i made were just squares in seed stitch, but since then, to stave off boredom, i've used the flower washcloth pattern in the "weekend knitting" book: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/reverse-bloom-flower-washcloth

affectioknit said...

I do make dishcloths - usually at the theatre in the dark - I use an old tried and true pattern - http://affectioknit.blogspot.com/2009/01/grandmas-favorite-dishcloth.html
It's super easy and you can do it in the dark...

Alyssa said...

The Mason Dixon "Ballband Dishcloth":

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/textured-slip-stitch

It's fun and you memorize the pattern after 2 times through it.

Alyssa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nicolaknits said...

I love my handknitted dishcloths. I use them to wipe around the counters (and I use a fresh one every day). For actually washing dishes, I use a scrubbie/sponge or a brush.

Lizzie Bordello said...

I love handmade dishcloths! I am so glad I switched from store bought dish scrubbie things. My favorite pattern is from Knitty, this one - four different styles, so you don't get bored. :) I always just leave off the words. http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTbacktoschool.html

Trinity said...

Hi Kala. I love making and using dishcloths. I am currently playing around with some 2 and 3 color stitch patterns from my Barbara Walker Treasury and turning them into dishcloths. As someone else mentioned, the ballband washcloth is great. Also from the Mason Dixon book, is the Mason Dixon Washcloth pattern. That one is a great pattern knit in the round from the outside towards the center.

BerlinBetty said...

I've been contemplating some pot holders myself. Unfortunately, I've completely lost my mojo. Your dishclothes are simple, but very pretty, good job lady!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...