Friday, January 08, 2010

Knit Picks: Land of Vegan Plenty





What makes me love a yarn company? Lots and lots of vegan yarn options! And one company that's doing a great job with vegan offerings is Knit Picks. I'm sure all the yarn crafters out there have heard of Knit Picks, but I've been wanting to do a post about their vegan yarns for a while, so here we go! Knit Picks currently has nine vegan yarns available in weight ranges from dk to bulky.

CotLin: This yarn is a dk weight 70% cotton/30% linen blend available in a lovely range of rich colors. I'm dying to make a summer top out of this stuff!


Crayon Boucle Yarn: This fun yarn is a 100% cotton pima, dk weight yarn that would be great for anything with a nubby texture, like a cute kids sweater maybe?

Shine Sport: I really love this stuff, in both the sport and worsted weight, it's an easy care 60% cotton/40% modal blend that's super soft and comes in really nice colors. I've made a pumpkin baby hat out of this for a friend and it came out super cute.

Simply Cotton Sport: This is one I was excited about as soon as I heard about it, it's a 100% organic cotton with naturally occurring shades, no dyes or bleach used at all! I have a few skeins of this in both the sport and worsted weight and it's crazy soft. I can see some lovely delicate baby knits in this yarn. I also love Simply Cotton Worsted and am playing around with a design for some socks with it.

Comfy Sport: Another great sport weight option, this yarn is a 75% cotton, 25% acrylic blend. This is another really soft yarn that would be great for all kinds of garments. This is also available as Comfy Worsted and Comfy Bulky, I'm so happy to have another vegan bulky option out there, they can be pretty scarce!

So if you're in the market for some affordable and awesome vegan yarns, make sure to check out Knit Picks, the only thing they're missing is vegan sock yarn!


-Kala

7 comments:

Emma said...

Great post! I've been wanting to try out some of their yarns but I haven't yet. I knew they had several vegan options, but I didn't realize it was this many!

Mary said...

This is really helpful information. Thanks! I'll look for knit picks at my yarn shop next time I'm there.

weeseaweed said...

bloody knit picks don't mail overseas! i'd be more annoyed about that if they did a vegan sock yarn, though.

Kristen said...

I just got my Shine Sport in Hollyberry in the mail yesterday! I'm so excited to start on my Marlene socks with it! The yarn is so soft and lovely.

Penny said...

Those colours look gorgeous, but I'm with weeseaweed (we're both in Scotland). It's a pity we can't get our hands on it...
I've added a new category on my blog, for vegan crafts, and you're on it! Great blog!

Celia said...

Unless the boucle I've tried all the rest and I think the same as you! I love them all! The shines are great to work for. I am even starting today the Babette blanket with the shine sport and I am so amazed with ti!

tiffannysketchbook said...

BOY do I want knitpicks to carry a vegan sock yarn. Maybe if we all e-mailed them about it, they will finally carry it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...