Saturday, February 13, 2010

If you want to sing out, sing out.



For years and years, I've wanted to learn how to play the banjo. Why the banjo? It think it's some sort of Beck/Harold and Maude mash up deal, but really, it just seems so awesome! I still want to learn one day, but for now I'm starting with a ukulele. I picked one up at Groth Music, a really cool music store in Bloomington, Minnesota that everyone needs to visit - they have just about every musical instrument you can think of for both adults and kids, so much fun! Anyway, I have absolutely no musical training, but my thinking is always, if there's something you want to learn to do, just do it! I'll be sure to keep you posted as I progress :)




-Kala

7 comments:

Emma said...

Very cool! I would like to get one of those concertina thingies, myself! And I very much agree with your "just do it" attitude! :) Good Luck!

Missy-Ellen said...

Good luck! I hope you have fun while you're learning (lovely photographs too!).

Nora said...

Good Luck... I hope it works out for you...

Happy Valentine's Day...

Keep On Junking
Nora

kate said...

I've been wanting to learn to play the banjo since august! Apparently they're the "cool new thing" (okay...not really). I already play the ukulele and it's super fun! I moved to guitar after, so mastering 4 strings and 6 strings should make 5 stings easier right?

Gina said...

Good luck and have fun!

We bought a uke when we visited Kauai, and they are tricky! They sound neat, though. Even if no one in our house ever plays it, we have a gorgeous instrument! hahaha. It's handmade from koa. Really gorgeous.

And Harold and Maude? BEST! MOVIE! EVAR!!!!! I love, love, love it!

BerlinBetty said...

I want to learn how to play the banjo so badly it hurts! But the hubs says I have to master my guitar before he'll even entertain the idea of getting me a banjo. I kind of have my heart set on a resonator banjo. Love your ukelele, by the way! Definitely need to go to Groth!

AlphaAndy said...

Ukulele is a great starter instrument. I think you can rock out a banjo too if you want. I play uke and learned a smidge of banjo. If you need some good tips and tabs check out...http://ukulelehunt.com/ http://ukuleleunderground.com/ (great free lessons) and for more tabs http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/tabs.html Good luck and let us know how it's going with the lovely little uke.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...