Monday, April 05, 2010

On and Off the Needle(s)

First, what's off the needle, the embroidery needle! This year for Shane's Easter gift I thought it might be fun to embroider onto an apron for him:



He loves to cook and makes most dinners when he's home or working an early shift (I'm the baker, I'm all about the sweets!) so he needs a cute apron :) And when I saw this awesome design on Urban Threads, I knew I had found perfection. I bought a plain white apron at Target (about $6) and with a bit of time I had a great present that he really likes, yay!




Now for what's on the needles. As any of you who have been reading my blog for a while know, I love to knit socks. But every sock I've ever made has been top down, I've never even attempted toe-up (even though I own two books all about toe-up socks...) but today I decided to change that and cast on for these:




Not only am I trying a new technique, I'm also trying a new sock yarn, Serenity Garden in the Hibiscus colorway. Since I love my dpns, I looked for a pattern that called for them specifically and found Wendy Knits' pattern for basic toe up socks with a gusset heel. I'll definitely try socks on circs at some point, but I don't have the right size needles and don't really feel like buying any right now so yeah. Wish me luck!

-Kala

7 comments:

M.M.E. said...

I LOVE that apron! I should totally make one like that for my boyfriend. I'm the baker, like you, but we like cooking dinner together. Maybe I should make matching ones. :) Your blog is so great! I can't wait to see what you post next.

cabin + cub said...

love the apron! that is awesome! my hubby loves to cook too, and would be so envious if he saw this apron. ;)

Patricia said...

Love the apron, especially the hard design done in soft embroidery, really fun. I too am the baker of the sweets in our house. I mean, if I'm gonna take the time to make something, it's gonna be something sweet and chocolately. Way to go on the toe-up socks too!

JFibers said...

Ahhhh, excuse me?!?!?! My idea for toe-up socks. Come on already, I don't get to join your sewing club so you forget that I forced, I mean inspired you, to do toe-ups. JEEZ!

cseneque said...

LOVE the apron, it's utterly fantastic.
And yay for socks! The Serenity Garden looks really soft and cushy, with gorgeous colours--I'll be keen to see how you find it.

BerlinBetty said...

That yarn is gorgeous! I feel a little drool... Lovelovelove the apron. What an awesome gift. Urban Threads is such a fantastic site.

DrChopSuey said...

I love the apron! Great job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...