Sunday, April 11, 2010

Simple Pleasures




When I was a little girl, there were few finer treats than a big old bean and cheese burrito from Los Burritos, a favorite LA Mexican restauant of my youth. Until very recently, I hadn't been able to recreate the awesomeness of a simple bean and cheese burrito, no vegan cheese was quite up to the task. And then came Daiya. It's by farrrrrrr, the best cheese ever, it's delicious, it melts, and it stretches! If you have a Z Pizza near you, go now and have the Berkeley Vegan, they use Daiya and it's so so so good! But back to my burrito. The other part that made this little tube of joy so yummy was the beans, homemade refried beans made in the slow cooker using this recipe. Yummy and super cheap to make, gotta love it! So what's your simple food pleasure?


-Kala

8 comments:

fosterbk said...

This is fantastic! My daughter is a preteen vegetarian and would love a cheese substitute! Thanks!

rachel danae said...

Kala, where can you buy this cheese in the Twin Cities area? (I live to the west of the cities.) I'm lactose intolerant, and I've tried many of the dairy-free cheeses, and honestly, they're just no good. Not cheesy enough, not melty enough, etc. This looks so good!

By the way, I love the hedgehog knitting bag - so cute!
Rachel

VeganCraftastic said...

Rachel, you can get Daiya at Whole Foods. It's pretty new so it might not be at too many other places, but that's where we got it :)

weeseaweed said...

looks and sounds awesome! i'm definitely giving that refried beans recipe a try, i can't get enough of the good stuff!

cupcakebomb said...

I'm always looking for a good vegan cheese! My husband is not vegan but he eats my soy cheese with me... if I can find a good vegan cheese that'd make me and him happy!! I'll definitely try Daiya this week!!! Thanks for sharing!! and Z Pizza looks yummy!

Penny said...

This looks good! We like refried beans in a burrito, but had never thought of having it with cheese. We get melting Cheezly here in Scotland, which I think would fit the bill perfectly! Thanks for the great idea!

Haley said...

I've been aware of Daiya for a while, but just tried it in earnest this week. It's amazing melted and-- much to my shock and joy--it's just as good raw. With this revelation, I'm totally digging out my fake ranch and my fake chicken, and I'm making a big old salad with all the fixings!

Malea said...

Oh man! If only it didn't have pea protein! My son is allergic to dairy, soy, all legumes, nuts...I've only ever found one "cheese" that he likes and it is 1) impossible to find and 2) super expensive and 3) super gross to me! LOL!

I had such high hopes for this until I read the ingredients...sigh...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...