Sunday, June 13, 2010

Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Bread




I've been wanting to post about these little yummies for a while now, I wasn't smart enough to take pictures of the first batch I made and shared at knit night (and no, there were no leftovers and I didn't even get one so you know they're good!) so I made another batch last night to make sure my recipe was good and so I'd have some to take pictures of. We don't eat a gluten free diet in this house, but one of my knitting friends is transitioning to gluten free so I thought I'd try to make something that she could eat too.

Gluten free baking is actually kind of a fun challenge, and while I was monkeying around with the recipe I had the same thoughts that non-vegans must have when making stuff for me, for example I wasn't sure that the egg replacer I used was gluten free, but I looked it up and luckily it was. I also wanted to come up with a recipe that was simple, I see so many gluten free recipes that call for 3 or 4 types of "flour" and other expensive ingredients so I really tried to keep it simple. Luckily, the recipe that I started out with uses very little flour anyway so it really wasn't much of a challenge. And they really did come out awesome, you'd never guess they were gluten free!




Here's the recipe, try it out, it's easy and yummy! And I even made a printer friendly pdf of the recipe for you guys! Recipe:

Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Bread

makes 15 cupcake sized breads (I used a cupcake tin that holds 12 and poured the extra batter into a mini loaf pan)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups zucchini, washed and finely grated

1 cup Bob's Red Mill all purpose gluten free baking flour

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 cup apple sauce or canola oil (I prefer them with apple sauce but they're a bit more moist with the oil)

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed

3 tsp. Ener-G egg replacer mixed with 4 Tbs. cold water

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/2 cup chocolate chips (I prefer Enjoy Life's chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line your cupcake tin with papers.

In a large bowl, combine "flour," cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.

In a medium bowl, combine all other ingredients except the chocolate chips.

Combine both bowl's worth of ingredients and then add in the chocolate chips.

Fill the cupcake papers almost full with batter - leave about 1/2" of space from the top.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Note: if you use apple sauce instead of oil, your baking time will be much shorter, be sure to keep an eye on the breads.

Cool on a rack and enjoy!

-Kala

21 comments:

Paige said...

Mmmm, they look so yummy! And soon, we'll have so much zucchini to deal with, we'll need great recipes like this!

Nancy @ TheSensitivePantry said...

This is a keeper! I'm with Paige - I'm bookmarking it for the influx of zucchini.

Kim said...

Yum, these look great! happy to find your blog too - I'm a fellow Twin Cities blogger :) I'm not vegan, but often make vegan food, you might like my blog. thanks for sharing a great recipe! Kim | www.affairsofliving.com

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free said...

Looks delish, Kayla! I've been making lots of zucchini recipes, too. I must say that as a gluten-free eater, I always appreciate when someone else is willing and kind enough to cook for me. Your friend is lucky to have you.

JFibers said...

Yeah... I still think that you substituted something else for the zucchini. But they were delicious despite the switch....

Worsted Knitt said...

They sound so good! Thanks for the recepie.

Monique said...

Oh my goodness, I can't wait to try this! It is SO hard to find decent gluten free baked goods -- I used to be one hell of a baker, but all of my gluten free baked goods turn out like bricks -- the picture looks so moist, and even fluffy (fluffy is not word frequently used for gluten free food of any type or variety). Thank you for sharing!

kim g. said...

I can't wait to try this! It's so nice to see a gluten-free recipe that doesn't call for a ton of different flours.

La Sauciere Folle (The Mad Sauce Chef) said...

Yum!Yum!Yum!Yum!Yum!Yum!

Sugar Dimples said...

Oh my gosh, thanks for sharing, they look delicious!

Frugally Natural said...

These look great! I have a giant zucchini sitting on my counter that has been waiting for the perfect recipe, I can't wait to try these! I'm not vegan, but I am gluten and dairy free, and often have to alter recipes to get rid of the dairy, so using vegan recipes is super convenient :)
We are featuring you this weekend on our Weekend Wrapup at www.frugally-natural.blogspot.com :)

Lesley said...

I am about to try to make this recipe, but I ran into a problem with some of the ingredients as my aunt cannot have white potatoes (nightshades). Both Bob's Red Mill all-purpose gluten free baking flour and the Ener-G egg replacement have potato flour. You can make your own egg replacement a variety of ways, and I'm going to have to substitute with an alternative flour as well. We'll see how it goes.

ICDC Thrift Store said...

I make these all the time and have shared them with tons of people from coworkers to friends to the bike shop employees! Everyone loves them, even if they're "afraid" of gluten free foods! Thank you!

Tina said...

These are amazing. Just had them and nearly cried because it was like I was eating a real bakery muffin. I don't know how people with food allergies do it. I've been top 8 allergen free for a short while because my breastfeeding baby has food allergies and it was either to eliminate food from my diet or feed him hypoallergenic formula that smells like regurgitated vomit...sorry to be gross.

1 question. What would happen if we added mashed bananas either in addition to or in lieu of the zucchini?

VeganCraftastic said...

Tina - yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe, that makes me really happy! I think using banana would work too, I haven't tried it but it sounds yummy.

said she, said he said...

Hey Kala! I have just found your site and am in love. I posted this recipe on my own blog today. Thank you!
http://saidshesaidhe.blogspot.com/2011/04/she-said-chocolate-zucchini-muffins.html

theravegan said...

These are so good! I'm in the midst of a pantry challenge; trying to use up what I have instead of going out to buy more. In looking through my freezer I found 2 bags of frozen shredded zucchini so I defrosted them (pushing out lots of liquid) and made these. I used Bob's Red Mill Pizza Crust as my mix, since I found a bunch of them on sale and it's just a mix of gf flours. Also used the applesauce. Mine weren't that pretty (kind of lumpy looking) but really really tasty. Thanks!

jojojewel said...

just made these this afternoon, as I had extra zucchini (who doesn't!) and a chocolate craving. They're great!

fitmama4 said...

Such a great recipe! Moist and delicious. Thanks for sharing!

Laurie B. said...

I have a juicer and juiced a ton of apples. I used the apple pulp in place of the zucchini and they were great. Used oil instead of applesauce. Didn't have an apple taste at all. Bet they are high in fiber too from all the apple peel.

Amy Bennett said...

These are good. Really good. I made it with 2 eggs instead of the egg replacement, used the oil not applesauce, added xanthum gum and made it into a loaf. Took 50 minutes. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...