Sunday, June 20, 2010

Summer in a Bowl

Sometimes the simplest things make the best snack:



I'm not one to dress up fruit, I know some people like to sprinkle sugar on top or some sort of whipped topping, but I'm all about simplicity when it comes to fresh delicious fruit. Where I come from, fruit salad is just a bowl of cut fruit, but here in the Midwest people add all sorts of madness and still call it fruit salad even though it looks like a bowl of white goo (or encased in a scary gelatinous tomb), I think it's totally bizarre :) I was at a party last month and there was a fruit salad that had bits of cookies in it, so hilarious! I suppose that thing became popular here since it's not always easy to get amazing produce all year long like you can in California, but still, it's just so odd! It's one of those things that makes living in Minnesota like living on Mars sometimes ;)

-Kala

15 comments:

Gina said...

LOVE your new background image on the main page! NICE!

I hear ya on the fruit. Dunno why people gotta mess with it the way they do. I don't mind whipped topping so much, and sometimes even crave that mess, but when people mix fruit with things like Miracle Whip or mayo? Egads.

And back when I still ate Jell-O, I hated when people put fruit in it. Let the fruit shine alone, and let the Jell-O be the way it was intended---smooooove and with nothing suspended in it.

Your snack looks tasty! Mmm.

Victoria said...

Yup, that's how we have our fruit salad too! I love putting a mango in with the berries, it's a great combination. :o) (okay, sometimes we put a little mediterranean yogurt on top... but rarely!)

Cabootique said...

That fruit looks delicious! I live in the Midwest too, and am always shocked by what people decide to mix in with their fruit. I love just a plain bowl of fresh fruit.

JFibers said...

Hey now! That's my mother-in-law's salad recipe! Watch it now! Also, you didn't mention that at that same party there was a HUGE bowl of plain fruit!!!! Silly kid, fruit is for rabbits!!

Sara said...

Yummy!

Mona Kay at Home said...

Mouth-watering! I love fruit on its own...I used to add a light dressing, but I love it fresh by itself! The berries look so good...

Hannah said...

Hey, as much as I love elaborate desserts, I always make sure there's also a plain fruit salad on the table at big family dinners, too.

YanniCreations said...

I'm all for simple and fresh fruit salad. I want that bowl LOL.

bicocacolors said...

how fresh this blog here!
elena from spain

Galit said...

Oh my goodness! Those photos are mouthwatering! You can actually smell the freshness of the fruits!

I'm totally with you; fruit salad should be made of plain fruits. Seasonal and fresh.


By the way - love your new background! so happy and joyful!!

Melanie said...

YUM. Those berries look amazing!!!

my little Aura said...

The fruit looks so yummy! lovee your blog, see ya'

aquariann said...

Yum, that fruit is making my mouth water! I often eat fruit without dressing it up, but there is this fantastic champagne salad I'm partial to that covers strawberries, bananas and pineapples in a heavenly goo of fatty deliciousness.

Jamie said...

Your fruit salad looks heavenly - just the way I like it.

Thanks for stopping by my blog

Patricia said...

I'm with you, I like fruit plain. Unless it's baked in a pie, that is...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...