Thursday, August 19, 2010

Art on the Cheap

Decorating the new apartment has been a lot of fun so far, but as always, we have to keep budget in mind. Art is very important to me, and in this place I'm determined to be surrounded by inspiring pieces that I love. One of my favorite illustrators is a local artist named Adam Turman - if you live in the twin cities you've probably seen his work - and I've coveted his prints for quite some time. Since he's going to be at the MN State Fair this year, I plan on getting one of his larger prints for the living room, but for now I found a cheap way to get me some Adam Turman goodness in my kitchen (that just sounds wrong...) - not the best picture but I took it at 7pm in a kitchen so there you go:



I got a 99 cent postcard from the Electric Fetus (local record store) and a cheap Ribba frame from Ikea and boom - cheap art for the kitchen! The print I got celebrates a food that I've never even had - lefse, but I think my husband should make some for me since he's a Minnesota boy :)

-kala

14 comments:

Rikki Cupcake said...

i love that name electric fetus, awesome!

Jamie said...

Cheap art - one of my favorites.

The Feathered Snail said...

i love to get hand painted originals at the thrift store or at yard sales. people took hours working on them and sadly they end up for $4 at a thrift store. i snatch them up and appreciate the heck out of them! lol

Graphic Design by Tara said...

I always buy my frames at Ikea too and use old ripped up mags, books, etc. whatever I can find I frame it!

T♥

affectioknit said...

I love that print! I'd never even heard of lefse before we moved here 5 years ago - but we always make it at the church to sell at the Bazaar - and we like it ok - but people up here LOVE it!

Valley Primitives Gift Shoppe said...

I came across your blog in the forums, I am vegan as well :0)
Kim

JFibers said...

if you come to my house, we can make some!!!

aubree said...

you're not missing anything with the lefse...but I'm not scandinavian, so maybe I don't get it...

Michael Creations said...

I love Adam Turman! I lived in MN all my life until moving away last year. Your references to Electric Fetus, lefse, and the State Fair are making me homesick! :)

What a great idea for decorating!

gibknitty said...

love your cheap art. great idea!

Kathleen McGiveron said...

Awesome post! You did great! You show you don't have to always go to Bed bath and beyond or ikea to decorate!

Saw your post on Etsy so i'm following!


My shop: www.kmcgiveron.etsy.com

Blog: www.kathleenmcgiveron.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/kmcgiveronart

Twitter: www.twitter.com/kmcgiveron

www.kmcgiveron-art.com

Galit said...

I totally second you with finding affordable art.
One medium that I love around Australia is Avantcard which produce artworks postcards by young artists and you can find them for free around town. It is such a great initiative and I collect the works I love with great joy.
Another good options for the rest of the world is 20X200. 200 prints for the price of $20. They present new works every day and there are always great finds there (check out also their great blog)

Posh Bijou dans la Cuisine said...

Wow...I am so impressed, I never would have guessed that sweet piece of art hanging on your wall was a kitschy postcard! Swell idea!

cindi said...

Ah, I know lefse quite well. I grew up in Iowa and am 3/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Danish. :) Thanks for turning me on to Adam's work. I like it! And yes, your husband def needs to make you some lefse. If he won't, call my Mom; she will! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...