Thursday, August 05, 2010

The Great Unpackening -ening

You wouldn't think it would be such an ordeal packing up and then unpacking a one bedroom apartment, right?  Well, maybe if I didn't have so many art and craft supplies and if both of us didn't have so much music it would be a lot easier :)  But I'm really not complaining, those who know me well know how bad the situation in my last apartment was, so any bit of hard work now is totally worth it.  The place is coming together slowly, my work table is mostly set up and the bedroom is getting close to being a real room and not just a place where we dig through suitcases to find clean clothes.  Not that we would do something like that around here, ahem! 

When we moved we got rid of a TON of stuff - I think we made seven big trips to Goodwill and still have at least one to make - it's scary how much stuff can accumulate over the years, stuff that you don't really use or love anymore.  But the awesome thing about getting rid of unwanted stuff is re-discovering the things that you really love, like my vinyl collection.  The husband and I spent one of our first nights here just hanging out on the floor listening to records, it was great :)  Also, in the last place we didn't have much art on the walls and I really want to change that here, I have a bunch of prints that I've bought on Etsy that just need frames, I'm thinking a trip to Ikea is in order, they have some nice cheapies there.  But really I'm still excited about all of the little things that this apartment has over the old one - doors that actually close and work, ceilings high enough that I can't touch them, lovely wood floors, tile in the bathroom, a dining area, natural light (no more basement dwelling!), a parking space....I know these are little things but it's just such a huge step up from our last place that I still walk around the apartment with a big stupid smile on my face :)  And don't worry, as soon as we're all set up, I'll share some pics!

-kala

6 comments:

Trinity said...

Congratulations on the new space. Having a home you can be comfortable in is so important!

Art Garden Diva said...

Thanks for your comment on my Blog. Love your shop and blog, and also MN. It looks like you are doing what I have ahead of me with downsizing. We want to move from a large house into something more manageable now that our kids are in college. Good luck with your move. I look forward to following your journey.

Gina said...

I just moved too and am in the same unpacking/taking stuff to Goodwill mess. Good luck!

JFibers said...

Hey you... good to hear you're keeping yourself busy. Don't get too lazy on us! I had fun at knitting on Tuesday but had to pick on Kelaine because you weren't there... booooooo.....

Dyche Designs said...

You new place sounds great . . . sounds like you're going to have fun making it a home.

Patricia said...

Congrats on your new digs--glad it was an improvement. Congrats on clearing out some things, I need to get busy on that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...