Friday, September 17, 2010

Knitting and Reading

But not at the same time, can you guys knit and read at the same time?  It took me forever and a day to be able to knit without looking so maybe knitting and reading at the same time will happen at some point.  Anyway, I cast on for some socks for my husband:



This is more stash yarn, I honestly can't remember the last time I bought yarn, crazy!  It's my beloved Panda Cotton in the Blue and Gray Colorway, I let my hubbie pick from a few choices and this is what he went with, which is good because I requested this yarn with him in mind :)  I'm doing another very basic vanilla sock, it seems to be what I'm in the mood for lately so I'm not fighting it.



Now for reading.  I'm actually reading a few things at once which is unusual for me, I'm usually a pretty monogamous reader - but two of the books are short story anthologies so I guess it's ok.  I'm a big fan of the Sookie Stackhouse books (they're such fun, quick reads!) so I was excited when I finally got my paws on a library copy of Death's Excellent Vacation.  It's an anthology of supernatural road trip/vacation stories, I just wanted to read the Sookie story so I thought it would be smarter to borrow rather than buy a book for just one story.  It was a great story though, a road trip with Pam (love her!) and Sookie!  I'm also reading a book that someone on Twitter (I'm Vegancraftastic over there if you're on Twitter) recommended since I liked The Strain so much.  The book is called Summer of Night and it's great so far!  Anyone reading anything fantastic?

-kala 

11 comments:

StephCat said...

I can read very, very simple things if I'm doing very, very simple knitting. I've just gotten to the point where I can comfortably work in stockinette without looking, though!

I'm reading the most recent Benjamin January book from Barbara Hambly. Wonderful, wonderful series.
http://www.barbarahambly.com/?p=242

Campfire Chic said...

I read the "Many Bloody Returns" version..birthday-themed vamp stories! The Sookie one was pretty badass.

Debbie said...

I can knit and read at the same time but only when

1. It is something simple that requires only stockinette and

2. I am using my Nook ereader. Then I don't have to worry about propping the book open.

Stefan said...

I can't read and knit at the same time at all! I've got a couple more yearn before I can do that, I'm sure! I can crochet and read at the same time though *shrug*

Right now I'm reading "A Lion Among Men" the third book in the Wicked Years. Such wonderful books that demand so much attention to them, definitely monogamous reading. :P

Tsuki aka LittleGrayFox said...

hmm well I can't even knit, so my answer is no! :p

I was watching tv while needle felting last night..and that was a bit of disaster. Quickly poking a sharp needled so close to your fingers, while looking away = not a good idea!


٭Tsuki٭
{Little Gray Fox}

P.S. Come join our blog hop going on right now!

Penny said...

I quite often read and knit at the same time. I knit while watching TV, so it's much the same thing, except you don't have to prop the TV open!
At the moment I've got some light reading on the go, as a break from studying for an exam. It's 'The Girl Next Door' by Elizabeth Noble and is about a group of people who live in an apartment block in New York. I get all the spookiness I can handle from watching 'Supernatural' with DH and DD!

jessecreations said...

I want so badly to be able to read and knit simultaneously! My whole shop is full of yarns inspired by literature (and movies and tv shows), so it'd be cool to read the book and knit the yarn that was inspired by the book, wow. I'm a big nerd on all fronts. :)

Recently I read the first "Dresden Files" book by Jim Butcher, and now I'm totally hooked and I've got to get the rest of them! I didn't know there was a new Sookie short story, so I'm going to have to check that one out, too! I wasn't a huge fan of The Strain; I like my vamps sexy and literate. Ha! :)

Jess

urban muser said...

I can barely look away when I am knitting. Read? No way :)

Randi said...

I can read and knit but, as a few others have said, only when the knitting is simple. A basic sock or a ribbed hat or something. I could never crochet without looking at my work, though; I'd always pull through too many or too few loops. I also find reading while knitting much easier since I got a Kindle. I have a book weight to keep books open but it's leather, not clear, so I still have to stop and move it every half-page, which just makes the whole reading and knitting process slower.

cseneque said...

I rarely knit plain stockinette if I can help it, and tend to need a lot of concentration to not lose my place while reading, so nope to the both-at-once thing.

I'm reading The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, and loving it so far!

Rachel said...

I've been reading "We Were The Mulvaneys" and it's quite good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...