Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Free Pattern: Devil Horns!


After a quick decision to run an upcoming Halloween 5K in a devil costume, I went on a hunt for devil horns.  But the ones I found in stores were shoddy and expensive so I decided to make my own!  Shockingly, I couldn't find a pattern so I ended up designing my own :)  And because I love to spread the Halloween love, the Devil Horns is a free pattern!  Here's the Ravelry link so you can download it there.  For those not on Ravelry, here's the pattern, enjoy!



Devil Horns
By Kala Hotakainen of Vegancraftastic

Need a quick costume idea? Look no further! I cooked up this easy to crochet devil horned headband with last minute costumers in mind - because there’s nothing scarier than missing out on Halloween fun!

Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in Autumn Red - less than one skein

Supplies: Small amount of fiberfill, yarn needle

Hook: US size G (4.5mm)

Gauge: Gauge is not crucial for this project, but I got 3.5 stitches to the inch working half double crochet flat.

Abbreviations Used: Ch - chain, HDC - half double crochet, Inc - increase (work two sc in one stitch), Sc - single crochet.

Headband:

Ch 10

HDC in each chain

Ch 2, turn, work hdc across row

Work the last row until the headband measures 21 inches or desired length. Be sure to try on the headband as you work, as your head size will most likely differ from mine.

When desired length is reached, cut yarn and leave a long tail (at least 12 inches) for seaming. Seam the short ends of the headband using whip stitch. Weave in all ends.

Horns:

Ch 2

Work 4 sc in 2nd ch from hook

Inc in every stitch - 8 sts

Sc in every stitch

Sc in every stitch

Inc in the first two stitches, sc to end of round - 10 sts

Sc in every stitch

Inc in the first two stitches, sc to end of round - 12 sts

Sc in every stitch

Inc in the first two stitches, sc to end of round - 14 sts

Sc in every stitch

Inc in the first two stitches, sc to end of round - 16 sts

Finish off and leave a long tail (at least 12 inches) for seaming.

Repeat for second horn.

Putting it all together:

Stuff horns lightly and sew one horn to headband, if you have someone to help it makes it easier to position the horns. Otherwise, put the headband on and use a mirror to help decide where you want your horns. Sew second horn to headband. For pointy horns, you are done and only have to weave in your ends. If you want your horns to curve in a bit, use the yarn tail from seaming the horns to the band and poke it through the side of the horn. Pinch the horn together a bit and use small stitches to shape the horn. Don’t worry about perfection here, just sew it until it looks right to you. Weave in all ends and admire your devilish handiwork!

Kala Hotakainen of http://www.vegancraftastic.blogspot.com/ . This pattern is for personal use only, you may not sell this pattern or items made from it, thanks!

-kala

19 comments:

Vegan Girl (Roni Seabury) said...

You are so cute! I suppose this can't be converted to knitting? I am the worst crocheter ever. Did I just make up that word?

VeggieAmanda said...

The devil horns are adorable (and evil :)! I love them. Now, if only I knew how to crochet. Thanks for sharing!

Sonya Zombiee said...

That's so awesome!

April said...

Super cute!

JFibers said...

You're so cool... I wish I was your friend. Oh wait, I am!

Jacklyn said...

Yay! A crochet pattern! I swear every cool pattern I find is usually for knitting. This looks super cute and I must try with the extra yarn I have around. Thank you for sharing!

Ribbons Undone said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I appreciate your comment.

You are so talented! I've tried knitting several times in the past year, and I'm having such a hard time with it. Yes, I can knit, and I can purl. But if I make one little mistake, I'm completely baffled and lost. Just can't seem to figure out the anatomy of those stitches!

Patricia said...

Genius!

urban muser said...

so cute and creative. good luck in the 5K!

ana said...

ooo. have fun running that 5k! :D & thanks for the freebie pattern. very awesome of you.

yoel said...

These are super awesome fantabulous!

cseneque said...

Oh these are so cool!

Knot By Gran'ma said...

I love these... may have to whip some up tomorrow to wear for the trick or treaters.

Allyson said...

Too cute! What a great, fun pattern. I'm so glad you commented so I could check it out! I'm bookmarking this guy for next year for sure.

Hannah said...

Ha, adorable! I just wish I had an extra day (or three) to make a pair.

RibbonsAndPins said...

I just did a pair in black as a gift for my sister... Gargoyles have horns too!

Deb Terry said...

Thank you for the pattern! These turned out GREAT! Your pattern was clear and easy to follow. Thank you!!

Tash said...

These are absolutely fab! I was making a devil earflap crochet hat for a friend and your devil horn pattern was so easy to follow! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Erica said...

Thank you so much for this awesome free pattern! I already crocheted myself a headband with cat ears for Halloween. However, I will crochet this pattern for next year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...