Thursday, October 28, 2010

Socktoberfest FO: Mummy Socks

While on a weeklong vacation at my parents' house, I finished up my Mummy Socks!




I love how they came out, and I still think they look like mummy wrappings :)  The pattern is a heavily modified version of Destin and the yarn is Panda Cotton in the Sahara colorway.



















I actually got a shocking amount of knitting done while on vacation, what usually happens is that I bring tons of projects and then knit about one row on a scarf the whole time we're there.  But this time, the goal was to relax as much as possible so that made for lots of knitting time.  I finished one plain vanilla sock in 2 days!  I'm hoping to get the other one done by the end of the month, I'll take pictures when I finished pair.  I also tried out magic loop for the very first time:



















So far, I'm not impressed.  There just seems to be a lot of moving things around and fiddling to get to the next round, and I know it's my first try, but it's waaaay slower than dpn sock knitting.  Also, the cords get in the way and makes me want to stab them. 

So what's your favorite method for knitting socks?  Dpns? Magic Loop?  Two circs?

-kala   

13 comments:

tiffannysketchbook said...

DPNS TO THE GRAVE BABY!!!!

affectioknit said...

Awesome mummy socks! I have those exact same comfort socks - because you gave me the yarn - thanks again - I still love it so! I've tried the 2 circ method and don't like it either - I prefer dpns - but I have a knitter friend who loves the 2 circs - so I guess it all depends...

ColorSlut said...

Your mums socks are perfect. Will they be for the holidays? I like the stitch marker ghost as well :)

JFibers said...

I'm a DPN girl... I'm STILL working on Leyborn and just took the whole thing out and decided to modify it to a top down sock... still not liking the single set of needles though- YUCK!

Cathy said...

I learned to knit socks on DPNs, but I love magic loop now! I thought it seemed fiddly at first too and was not convinced when I first tried it, but now every time I try to go back to socks on DPNs, I end up switching back to magic loop!!

It took a couple pairs to get used to magic loop, so don't give up too soon!! :-)

Gina said...

THERE YOU ARE!! Glad to have you back!

GREAT socks!

I'm not too keen on Magic Loop, either. Used it in different applications, and it just seems easier to use DPNs. Maybe if we'd learned ML first and DPNs second, we'd like ML more? Or not? LOL

I just like the old fashioned quality of a set of clickety DPNs, plus they make knitting look more difficult so that if people see you knitting with them, they appreciate the gifts you make even more! LOL

lilmamad said...

I'm a DPN girl myself, but I recently learned toe-up and don't think I'll be looking back from that method! :) One of my close girlfriends does two circulars, but she's been working on the same pair of socks forever, so it doesn't make me feel inclined to try it! :D

urban muser said...

i haven't made any socks yet, but DPNs all the way when i make gloves. have never tried magic loop. love the socks!

Patricia said...

DPNS!!! The very first project I learned to knit on were mittens, and I was taught on DPNs, so maybe that's it. I can't say I've ever tried magic loop, so you could also call me lazy...

tiffannysketchbook said...

I have kind of an off topic question. If you were stranded in a dessert island and you had your choice of Panda Cotton OR Maizy, which sock yarn would you pick??

I've never knit with maizy, but it's a hint cheaper, and I'm about to buy a bunch for christmas knitting....

VeganCraftastic said...

I'd go with Panda Cotton, it's softer, warmer, and nicer to knit with :)

yoel said...

Cute socks!

Magic loop isn't worth it unless you do 2 socks at a time. Otherwise it's a lot of tugging and moving for nothing, (unless you despise DPN's of course).

Randi said...

I switch between dpn's and magic loop and don't really have a favorite. I do have to use a set of 5 dpn's, not 4, though, and ALWAYS 2mm needles for socks. I'm a loose knitter. Usually for me it's either a matter of variety (have I knit 3 pairs on dpn's? time to get out the long circ) or necessity (are all my circs in other pairs of socks but I still need to cast on a new pair? better hunt down the dpn's). I agree that sometimes that cord just makes you want to scream, though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...