Saturday, November 27, 2010

Our Vegan Thanksgiving

Well, now that all of the leftovers have been eaten, Thanksgiving is officially over.  Like I said in a previous post, Thanksgiving in our home is a small affair, just me and the husband, and I love it :)  Since it was dark when we ate the actual meal (we eat Thanksgiving at dinner time) I took a pic of my leftover plate from lunch yesterday:























Yum!  We had spicy mashed sweet potatoes with cilantro and coconut milk, stuffing, a Gardein Stuffed Turk'y, and two kinds of gravy.  There was also pie, cookies, and Silk Nog for later.  This was our first experience with the Garden Turk'y, in the past I've had Tofurky (hate it!) and we've also made main dishes from scratch.  But everything we've had from Gardein has been delicious so we thought we'd give the turk'y a try.  And I'm glad we did, it wasn't quite as awesome as I was hoping, but it was pretty darned good.  My complaints are with the stuffing and gravy that it comes with.  The turk'y is breaded and stuffed, the stuffing tastes really good but the texture turned me off, it was much too mushy.  The gravy was just gross, it tasted a lot like I remember turkey tasting like (and no, that's not a good thing) and I'm glad we had a backup gravy for the meal.  Overall, I'd have it again but skip the gravy it comes with and make sure I had my own stuffing to serve on the side.  Because really, Thanksgiving for me is ALL ABOUT THE STUFFING!

So what's your favorite part of yourThanksgiving meal?

-kala

10 comments:

Sara said...

I love tofurky! I guess it's all relative. Those mashed sweet potatoes sound wonderful!

geschichtenvonkat said...

looks and sounds delicious! stuffing is one of my favorite dishes too and the pie of course!

ColorJoy LynnH said...

Hmmm, I don't like meat, and have no concept of wanting to eat fake meat. (I do eat a little poultry & fish, doctors orders because I am allergic to so many non-meat protein foods, but don't like it.)

I had fava bean salad, baked sweet potato, mustard greens and pumpkin pie for my Thanksgiving. I can't imagine wanting anything else to celebrate the abundance in my life!

Emma said...

Mmmm, silk nog, haven't picked up any yet, that's a great idea! Looks like a great thanksgiving meal to me.

tiffannysketchbook said...

silk nog.... i look forward to it every holiday! I had Field Roast's version of Tofurkey :D that was good too! Happy Thanksgiving to you, Kala! Love your blog.

GiGi said...

OOh haven't had silk nog in a while and have yet to try gardein and want to. This year we had protabellos stuffed with a tofurky
filling and topped with daiya.
I loved our vegan whipped "creme".
Your dinner looks scrumptious.

Zoe said...

Yum! Tastiest looking thanksgiving post I've seen so far!

Jacklyn said...

I should have done the Gardein Turkey as well. I decided to try to make my own turkey from tofu. It was okay but nothing great. I know Gardein never lets down, so I know this had to be great. I am really considering buying one of these for next years Thanksgiving.

Patricia said...

Thanks for the Gardein review. I was tempted to try it but from my blah tofurkey experience I decided to make some seitan again instead. Now that I know it's tasty I might try it for the next big holiday.

DanaSaylorDesigns said...

I prefer the Quorn brand Turk'y roast, with a homemade mushroom gravy. Tastes the best when you put it on a King's Hawaiian roll with a little vegenaise, and organic cranberry sauce! Yum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...