Sunday, November 21, 2010

Roller Derby!














Last night the stars aligned and my husband finally had a day off that coincided with a Minnesota RollerGirls bout!  I had never been to roller derby in my life, but I kept hearing about how much fun it is so I finally decided to check it out.  My husband used to go fairly often, but that was before we met so that doesn't count, ha ha ;)  The event was at the Roy Wilkins Auditorium in Saint Paul, I had been there before to see the Arcade Fire a few years ago, and I have to say that that place is much better suited to derby than music.  And thanks to my friend Jen, we had pretty awesome seats! 



Overall it was a fun night, but for me that was because I had friends there to meet up with, the actual derby action didn't do much for me.  Maybe it would have been more exciting if I was rooting for a specific team or had a friend that was a Roller Girl.  But I've never met a sport that didn't bore me horribly so maybe I'm hopeless :)  Although there was an awesome leprechaun mascot dude so how can I complain?



Has anyone else been to roller derby before?

-kala

9 comments:

Emma said...

We used to go see the Rat City Roller Girls in Seattle. They took over the Key Arena in Seattle during Bumbershoot (an annual music fest) one year, and after that we were hooked. I'm also never ever into sports at all...but I loved skating as a kid. I meant to check out the Chicago team, but we never got around to it...and I still feel partial to the Rat City Rollers!

There's a pretty great documentary about them: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1051212/

Zoe said...

I don't think they have roller derby in aus, not that I've ever seen anyway, but given its popularity it's only a matter of time before it makes its way down under! I'm not sure if I'd get much out of it either, unless, like you said, I knew someone in it or something.

JFibers said...

I've been to one before! But you're right, it's more fun if you have friends that are there!!! (hee hee!!!)

Pam said...

I've never been to a roller derby, but I've seen them on tv. I'm guessing they're more fun in person.

Lizzie Bordello said...

The husband and I are in our third year of attendance, second year of season tix, for the Northstar Roller Girls, Minnesota Roller Girls' rivals from across the river. We obviously love it - and we are totally not sports people either. I think it is more fun once you've seen a couple of bouts and really understand the rules, as well as once you have a few favorite skaters to scream for. :)

There's just something about it...

Hannah said...

Ha, this is awesome! Roller derby is something I'd love to do, but would likely kill myself before I even got on the playing field. I am simply not gifted in athletics of any sort! I'll stick to watching on the sidelines.

geschichtenvonkat said...

i have never been but it sounds interesting. on the other hand, sports don't do much for me either except for soccer..c'est la vive!

Patricia said...

There is a derby league nearby and I've not gone, but I remember always watching roller derby in the early 80's at my grandmother's house when it was too cold to play outside. My two sisters and I would cut up old greeting cards and mail she saved and make little collages and watch roller derby. And Grizzly Adams. Nice random weird Grandma memory there...

Jacklyn said...

Roller derby sounds like so much fun, too bad I can't roller skate : /
I never been to one of their events but I heard it can get pretty violent. Sounds like a sport I would enjoy to watch haha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...