Thursday, November 18, 2010

Vegan Sock Yarn - Best of the Best


Since I get a fair amount of questions about yarn, and vegan sock yarn in particular, I thought it would be fun to do a post about my two absolute faves!  Socks are definitely my favorite thing to knit, I just checked my Ravelry notebook, and I've knit 33 complete pairs of adult socks in my relatively short knitting career (I think I've been knitting just about 5 years now). 



If you've been reading this blog for long, you can probably guess my number one desert island love it forever sock yarn - Panda Cotton!  I've knit almost 20 pairs of socks with this yarn and I absolutely love it.  It's nice to work with, comes in a wide range of colorways, and washes and wears beautifully.  I wash and dry all of my handknit socks in the washer and dryer and my Panda Cotton socks stay nice and soft.  The husband and I wear handknit socks all Fall and Winter long and we have yet to have a sock wear through or get a hole, so that's pretty good!



My second favorite sock yarn is one that's grown on me over time - Berroco Comfort Sock.  When Comfort Sock first came out, it was very exciting because it was one of the first vegan self patterning sock yarns.  That first range of colors was a bit dull, but the color options have improved greatly.  I love this particular yarn for socks that I wear in my big winter boots - they keep my feet toasty without getting icky and sweaty, yes that's important!  I also love the price of this yarn, it's nice being able to knit a pair of winter socks for just under $9! 

so what's your favorite sock yarn of all time?

-kala

17 comments:

tiffannysketchbook said...

For a thinner pair, I'm loving Panda Cotton too, but before I found that yarn, I used only Elann Espit. You can make a pair for under 6 bucks. They make thick socks though, so only good for winter boots and house socks. The needles asked for is size 7, but really size 3 is a good needle size for socks. The stretchiness is definitely more perceptible than panda cotton. I barely feel panda cotton stretch while knitting it. With Elann Esprit, you can really feel that stretch!

Jaz said...

Wow that's a lot of socks! So far I haven't knitted any socks but think I'll have a go so at the moment I don't have a favourite. Love the blog :)
GoodGoneGirl

Tara said...

I like Patons Kroy but I am very interested in that Panda Cotton. I'll have to look for it. Thanks for the visit earlier. I'm looking forward to digging around here in your blog.

treewool said...

i love Panda Soy! I also can't wait to try out my Sock Candy

Emma said...

I've used Cascade Fixation for two or three projects. I think it is fairly comparable to Elann Esprit, which I've been wanting to try, since it's cheaper. What I really like about it is that is seems particularly durable, which is great cause I like the idea that my handmade socks will last, plus I think I'm particularly hard on socks in general. I also really do like panda cotton, it's very cozy.

Dani said...

I'm still wearing through my yarn stash before I start buying more, when I will make vegan choices. I have a lot of knitpicks yarn that will be used for Christmas gifts, then I can start building the stash again with more animal-friendly choices. I've only been vegan for a few months, and have only just picked up knitting again for the first time in a while.

Thanks for the great suggestions! I added you on Ravelry as a friend. I hope that's okay. I'm midgetontheedge. :)

Jane/WTKnits said...

I'll have to try the Panda cotton. Anything that can be washed and dried swiftly is a bonus in my household!

Sara said...

Thank you for this post! I went vegan in 2008...but it never quite made it to my yarn purchases. In 2009 I decided not to buy yarn for a year. This summer I decided that If I was going to buy yarn it would be vegan...my only problem was what to do about sock yarn.

photoknitdog said...

That is a ton of socks! I've knit (including WIPs) 11 pairs of socks. The only one I've ever used the same yarn for is the Fiberphile Merino Cashmere sock, which is so yummy so I guess that would be my favorite. :)

Andrea said...

I don't have a favorite sock yarn but I do love the Berroco Comfort Sock. That Comfort line is so soft and washes great. I knit my first "learning" sock in it and since I only knit one, I use it to polish furniture. But it has worn great!

Flowers said...

I hadn't seen this brand of sock yarn before. They have a great selection. Thank you.

Chelle said...

I can't just chose one so I'll post my top three
1. Panda Cotton
2. Panda Soy
3. Sock Candy (I really need to actually finish a pair of sock with this yarn though!)

~RaenWa~ said...

I never knew there was Vegan sock yarn that is very cool. I have been thinking about going Vegan for awhile now thanks for the info about the yarn.

Peaceful Knitter said...

I'm a sock-knitting fan, and have yet to try either of these yarns. Thanks for the info!

Thea said...

hmmm. I haven't used Panda Cotton yet, but it does look like pretty yarn ...
I actually rarely use the same yarn twice so no favorites!

Penny said...

I'm really going to have to try that Panda Cotton! I'll have to splash out on more needles, though, as I like knitting on two circulars and the only pair I have are for double knitting (worsted). I'm really keen to try this stuff, though. You should be earning commission! :o)

Abigail said...

Have you had any trouble with your Panda Cotton socks stiffening and shrinking over time? That is my only beef with that yarn. Oh, and the yardage is short and I have big feet but I can deal with that one more easily than the socks becoming so small and inelastic that I can't get them on!

I have some comfort sock but I haven't actually knit it yet. Maybe I should get on that. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...