Sunday, December 05, 2010

Finished Knit - Thorpe

A few days ago I decided to take a short break from holiday gift knitting/crafting to make something for myself.  Since I walk to mail almost all of my Etsy orders and it's winter in Minnesota, I need a hat.  A nice warm hat with ear coverage.  After admiring a very lovely Thorpe on the head of one of my friends (Miss Kathy!) I decided that would be the hat I would knit.  And here it is:



I'm super happy with how it came out and it was a fun to knit!  The pattern is very well written and easy to follow and the largest size fits my gigantic head, bonus!  I used 2 skeins of Berroco Comofort Chunky (a lovey warm vegan yarn) that I had in the stash, a red and a heathered gray.  I had just barely enough red to make the hat, but I think I had used a bit of the skein for something, so if you plan on making this hat with this yarn, just know that you can't use a half skein or anything. 



I wore my hat all day yesterday (literally all day, even during dinner out) so I can safely say that it's my favorite hat ever!  And my husband really liked how it came out and has wanted a hat with earflaps for a while, so we headed over to 3 Kittens and picked up yarn for a red and black hat for him.  Yay for husbands that request and appreciate hand knits!

So what are you guys knitting and crafting?

-kala  

25 comments:

Natalie said...

It's a lovely hat. My boyfriend also appreciates hand knits. He had me knit a cozy for his car and loves the dishcloths I knit.

Stephanie said...

I hear ya on the needing a hat in Minnesota! I've been thinking if I stay another winter I'm going to have to invest in snow pants as well. Trekking through all that fresh snow on a walk in my best jeans is getting a bit old. Your Thorpe looks great - simple but warm. It's on my list as well!

Emma said...

If we had been in Chicago again this year, I would probably be making Chuck an earflap hat right about now. He was requesting one last year even though the ear flaps aren't his style, just because it was so cold there! This pattern looks great, for men or women...but I'm pretty happy earflaps aren't required here. I could still see making this for him at some point, for trips home.

Chris said...

Define 'gigantic head' if you would be so kind. I'm thinking of making this for a nephew for Christmas. Thanks!

VeganCraftastic said...

Chris - my head is around 23.5 inches around and I can never find a store bought hat that fits me :)

Kelly said...

I love the pattern, and you chose great colors! I'm queueing it on Ravelry right now. :)

I'm wrapping up a pair of mittens for my dad, then I need to start on another pair for my brother... mittens for everyone!

Jamie said...

Adorable!

Chris said...

I bow to your big-headedness! I can only squeeze out 23 inches myself and I have plenty of trouble finding hats!

Knit Girl in Idaho said...

I love your new hat Kala!! It's awesome and I may need to knit one for a gift too.

Sara said...

It looks great!

Pam said...

Your hat came out great! It looks good on you. :)
We haven't had any snow here yet (Eastern Massachusetts), but they say we may get some this week. We'll see.

urban muser said...

GREAT hat. I love it!

Carla said...

Oh that hat is so nice!! Love the colors. I'm working on a scarf for a friend, wristwarmers for myself, and staring at this lovely list of 'Gifts for friends!'

Leeanne said...

Hey Found you in Rav. 1st-ly I love your hat too, I think you choose really good colours. 2nd-ly your rockyroad brownies look soo yummy and 3rd-ly I think your little bags are very cute.

maureencracknell said...

I love it! I need to knit myself a new hat SO bad...yours is wonderful!

Sarity said...

I really like Berroco yarn too, the comfort chunky is so cuddly.
I am working on hats for my two kids, my girlfriend, and myself for Christmas. If I don't make that deadline, then I may end up with a headband :)

tiffannysketchbook said...

it looks good on you! :D

Randi said...

Cute hat! Comfort is so warm, I love it. I made some socks out of Comfort DK and they're my favorite warm socks for around the house.

JFibers said...

Hey big head! I'll take one in blue. Hee hee

ColorSlut said...

What a great hat. I'm still working on holiday gifts - but I plan on doing some stash cleaning up and project cleaning up in the new year!

aquariann said...

You and that hat are super cute!! ^.^

Doni said...

I love the hat! And thanks for sharing the link, I'm putting that on my to-do list. :)

Thanks too, for stopping by and commenting at my blog. :)

WorstedKnitt said...

How pretty! Looks really warm, too :)

Jacklyn said...

Oh I have a question for you! I am wanting to make scarfs for xmas gifts but on the test scarf I made, I noticed that they little hang strings on the ends of the scarf, starts to fray and get all ugly. Do you have any tips on how to prevent this from happening? I am beginning to think that maybe I should braid them the way you did your beanie. Or maybe it's just the type of yarn I am using. I have no idea : /

VeganCraftastic said...

Jacklyn - I just sent you an e-mail to answer your fringe question :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...