Saturday, January 22, 2011

Knitting and Watching

Last night, after a day of household chores, cleaning, laundry, Etsy shop work, exercise, and cooking, I finally got a chance to work on my sweater again.  Seriously, how do people with kids have time to knit?  Anyway, while I was knitting, I watched two great documentaries on Netflix on Demand that I wanted to share.  First, I watched Our City Dreams:




Our City Dreams is a great doc that profiles five diverse artists who live and work in New York City.  This quote from New York Magazine says it best:  "Not only a first-rate portrait of great artists but also an impressive look at the way they interact with the city that feeds their work."  So watch it, it's awesome!

After that I watched something totally different, Joan Rivers:  A Piece of Work:



I can't say that I'm a huge Joan Rivers fan, but this documentary was really fascinating. I'm not old enough to know Joan for much more than her red carpet stuff, so it was interesting to see what a groundbreaker she was. 

Have you guys watched anything awesome lately?

-kala 

7 comments:

Kate! said...

I've been meaning to watch the Joan Rivers documentary! I don't know much about her, but I've been watching Fashion Police, and she is so vulgar and hilarious! Thanks for the recommendation!

Kendra said...

I'll have to check those out!! The first one sounds good!
I have 2 toddlers and crochet :) I just do it while they play in the toy room and I sit right there by them.

Lela said...

Our City Dreams sounds really interesting for me! I love to get to know about the lives of artists. I'm also working on a sweater/jumper and I know it can be hard to find time for it if you have so many things to do!

Emily said...

I saw Joan Rivers at a book signing a couple years ago (my college roommate adored her), and I was surprised at how well-spoken, smart and clever she actually was. I was so used to seeing her insult people on red carpet!

I saw a documentary a couple months ago about the font Helvetica. Yes really! I know a movie about a font sounds boring, but it was actually quite interesting, haha. :)

Gina Guillotine said...

We watched the Joan thing not too long ago. I've always liked Joan, even as a kid. My mom always hated her, though. Figures, right? hahaha

The documentary was interesting. she's certainly built herself a hell, hasn't she? She's gotta work, work, work, and has no time for friends. she could have more people with whom to say, "do you remember...?" if she'd make more time for long lasting friendships. She'd rather work.

I don't know how she keeps up with her schedule. She's old. A schedule like that would kill most people.

She really did screw over Johnny Carson, though despite the slant in the documentary. She didn't deserve to be blacklisted like that, but what she did to Johnny wasn't a good thing.

Thea said...

I'll have to check out Our City Dreams!
I started watching the movie Network the other day, from the 70s, but the DVD ended up being scratched! Found a sitcom I actually think is funny called Black Books, it's British.

Bee said...

Our City of Dreams sounds really interesting. I just watched Alice in Wonderland (missed it when it was at the cinema). Loved the special effects though a bit slow in parts (but that's OK when there's knitting going on!). I really enjoyed the extras that you get on DVD - how they came up with Johnny Depp's look, why they decided t make some of the "human" characters a bit larger than life with special effects etc.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...