Thursday, January 13, 2011

Museum of Russian Art

Yesterday, the husband and I decided to finally check out the Museum of Russian Art in Minneapolis.  I'm always up for a good museum and our library system participates in the Museum Adventure Pass system so we were able to go for free!  As a side note, if you are local or if your state has an Adventure Pass or similar program, be sure to check it out, it's so great to be able to check out cool places even if you're on a bit of a budget. 


Anyway, back to the museum at hand.  The Museum of Russian art is located in a beautiful building in Minneapolis, at one time it was a church and the architecture is Mission style influenced.  This museum is very unique, it's the only museum in North America dedicated to Russian art and artifacts.  The collection of uber fancy Imperial Porcelain and Russian Lacquer works were especially interesting.  Since photography inside the museum isn't allowed, you'll have to check out their website for more pics :)  But here's the husband and I standing outside, me in my Boneyard shawl, him in his Thorpe hat:



Visited any cool museums lately?

-kala

6 comments:

holly said...

I love church renovations and seeing them in nontraditional ways! I saw the pictures on the site and it looks so beautiful inside!

The current exhibit looked pretty cool too, the one of the ocean was lovely!

JFibers said...

You should come to the Waseca Arts Center for some real artwork.... Russian Smussian....(jk of course)

Gracey is not my name.... said...

My Hubs wants to go to Russia for the Olympics...not sure I'm up for that cold....

Carla said...

Oh I bet that museum is fantastic ; w;
Before the new year, I went to The San Diego Museum of Art's exhibit on Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. I really enjoyed the exhibit, as well as the rest of the museum. Nice to see a few of the pieces from my art history books in person :3

Maggie said...

That sounds amazing! I love going to see interesting museums.

slipstreamfiberarts said...

I had no idea there was a museum of Russian art in the US... someday I will have to visit!

I haven't been to any museums lately, but I feel shameful not having visited Canada's National Gallery after living a few blocks from it for 3 years. Next weekend I'll go, perhaps ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...