Tuesday, February 01, 2011

The Blue Dress

I finished sewing a dress yesterday!


This little number is something that I started way back in the Summer as a sew-along with my buddy Kathy.  We both had all sorts of problems with this dress, the instructions are skimpy to say the least and the sizing is way off base.  The pattern we used is the Trapeze Dress from the book Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross.  I really wanted to love this book, it's beautifully designed and photographed but the instructions and text seem like they needed just a bit more work.  It was funny, when my friend and I were at the local sewing shop recently, the ladies who work there were talking about how the book is full of problems too.  Ah well, at least the dress looks ok with something over it!

I made quite a few mods to make this dress work for me - it took it in about 4 inches in the back (and it's still too big) and I also added some darts in the front for a bit of shaping.  I changed the straps to be a tie behind the neck halter because that made it look a bit less frumpy too.  Overall, I'm glad it's finally done and that I have a cute dress to wear in the Spring!



-kala

11 comments:

Jamie said...

Totally work all the hard work.

affectioknit said...

Super CUTE! and let me just say that I LOVE your bike!

Rachel said...

It's so cute!

tiffannysketchbook said...

is there anything you can't do?! cute

Emma K. Nolan said...

I love the idea of a sew-along buddy! Very cute with the colors in that bone yard shawl!

cabin + cub said...

It's super cute! I am a mess when it comes to sewing, so envy anyone who can sew clothes! ;)

fal00la said...

I love it! Looks fantastic! I can't tell if I'm more excited about the dress, or the pink bike in the background lol XD

Lela said...

It looks lovely!

Patricia said...

Love it!

Let's just say I know what you mean. Mine came out a bit on the big side too. I think I might try another one (maybe once I have this baby I'm incubating and get my normal-ish shape back) in a smaller size and make a few mods to it now that I know what's what with it. Have you tried anything else yet from the book? I have been a big fat chicken and haven't yet. I really love a lot of the designs though.

JFibers said...

You look super cute and ready for summer... jumping the gun a little are we?

Jamie said...

I know what you mean about that book. I love the projects, but there are a lot of mistakes. Your dress turned out really nice. I haven't tried that pattern yet, so thanks for the heads up! Your dress looks awesome with your shawl!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...