Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Discovery Of Witches: A Review



It begins with absence and desire.
It begins with blood and fear.
It begins with a discovery of witches.

These words are the first to greet you in Deborah Harkness' debut novel A Discovery of Witches.  Months before this book hit the shelves, I heard so many great things about it that I knew I had to get my hands on a copy.  The book ended up being a gift from my sweet husband and let me tell you, the initial buzz on this novel was totally warranted! 

The story begins with a discovery, or perhaps rediscovery, of an ancient manuscript by a reluctant witch from the powerful Bishop family of witches.  Early on, Diana meets a vampire that will soon become her companion on a life changing journey of discovery and acceptance of her powers, and her protector from the many forces eager to get their hands on the manuscript and Diana herself.

A Discovery of Witches is, at it's heart, a love story.  A love story populated with vampires, witches, and daemons, but a love story nonetheless!  Deborah Harkness does a fantastic job of immersing the reader into the world she has created, and the characters come alive and evolve throughout the story in a way that you don't often see in novels with paranormal elements.  If you're looking for a new read, I definitely recommend this book, it's immensely entertaining and will leave you hoping for a sequel!

-kala

9 comments:

Jamie said...

Now you have me craving a copy. It is going on my reading list.

Jennifer Rutherford said...

Have heard this is a great book...already have it on my amazon list to pick up soon!

nicolaknits said...

I went over to my local library website to request it - I'm only 59th on the list! Won't hold my breath....

LoveandLustDesigns said...

I haven't heard of this before! I'll definitely haev to check it out!

Randi said...

The book sounds like fun, but I'm really interested in learning more about the little glasses on a chain. Nerdy girl must have!

Dani said...

Oh, I think the author was on NPR about this last week. I only caught the tail end of the interview, but it sounded interesting. :) Thanks for the review! I'll keep an eye out for it.

Rachel said...

I was just at the library yesterday with no clue what I wanted to read! This one is going on my book list! Thanks!

Kendra Sonia said...

Such a good book!

Sverige said...

Deborah Harkness has written a brilliant novel . The history of witches, vampires and daemons is wonderfully written. Perfect combination of history, science, romance, suspense, and mystery.Hoping that Harkness continues...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...