Friday, March 25, 2011

My First Cross Stitch Project!

Because what I really need in my life it yet another hobby (ha!) I decided to learn how to cross stitch last night.  And you know what?  It's SO fast!  I think I really love it, I started, finished, and framed my very first project in one evening:



Funny right?  I had to go with something silly, so I pulled out a kit that my husband bought me from Subversive Cross Stitch.  But since I can never leave well enough along, I used different thread in different colors (I much much much prefer perle cotton to embroidery floss, I pretty much refuse to ever use embroidery floss) and I changed the border so my piece would fit into the frame I wanted to use.

Now that I know how easy it is to cross stitch, I can't wait to get more cloth so I can start another project!  Maybe one of these cuties from MochiMochi Land?

Do any of you guys cross stitch? 

-kala

11 comments:

Cody said...

Haha! Love it!!!

jessecreations said...

I love these! A friend made me one that says "Get the F- out my house, B-." I love it b/c I have an evil MIL.

Anyhoo, cross stitch was the first crafty thing I learned to do when I was younger. I haven't done it since I learned to knit/crochet, but I still love the look of it!

Jess

Vanessa said...

Way too awesome.

Patricia said...

Great work for a first project! I still have my first project from maybe when I was 12 or 13 and it really isn't anything I want to display! I like Perle Cotton too, I use it for Hardanger embroidery pieces and it's so shiny and thick. I've not really used it for cross stitch. Hooray for new skills!!!

Ammie said...

Very funny! I have yet to complete a cross stitch pattern, but maybe if I retained lo-o-o-o-ts of white space, it could work for me. ;)

Gina Guillotine said...

Your project is so FUN! Good for you!

Yes, actually, I do cross stitch, but haven't done it in ages.

One thing you must get, if they still make them, is a Sit On It. This gizmo frees up your hands. You anchor your project in its "teeth" and then you sit on the gizmo, and your booty anchors everything, and then you can just stitch and stitch until you go mad with delight.

Here's one:

http://www.christian-crafts.com/9/98808.html

It really saves your hands and keeps you from holding your work too close to your eyes.

There used to be traveling cross stitch festivals here and there, but I don't think they exist anymore. Those were fun. My mom and I used to go and you could pick up really cheap patterns, like for .50 cents on some, and you could take classes for making lace, or doing hardanger, or whatever.

Have a blast with your new hobby!

OH! and since you have beads in your home stash, you could even stitch with them!

SallyT said...

I used to do counted cross stitch a lot but not since I started knitting....

Tess said...

So great! I embroider more than cross-stitch, it's a great thing to do when the tv is on and you still want to get crafty!

JFibers said...

K-
HA... you're so funny. Surprised you didn't pick one of the others that had more "colorful" language... hee hee

Lina said...

Love your first cross stitch! :)

I learned when I was young and have done quite a few projects, including a very large and difficult Christmas tree skirt, but I haven't picked it up in years. Knitting takes up too much of my time, I think!

- Lina
photoknitdog.com

PuNk rAwK pUrL said...

I love it! well done. & glad to hear that it was quick & easy.
x-stitch has been on my crafty to-do list for some time now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...