Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tomato Power!

For my birthday a few weeks ago, I was gifted a jar of home-canned tomatoes from my friend Flannery, see:



You can tell I was excited, I took a picture of the tomatoes with a wee house!  Anyway, on Sunday I decided to use my fancy tomatoes to make a pasta sauce.  I made a very simple sauce:  tomatoes, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, garlic....and sauteed some mushrooms for the top while the whole wheat pasta was boiling.  It came out amazing:



Doesn't it look yummy?  The tomatoes were really amazing, nothing like store bought canned tomatoes, and they were the key to this delicious sauce.  Thank you Flannery!

In related news, I've decided that this is going to be the year that I learn how to can food.  I've been itching to learn how to make and can jams, preserves, salsas, and more for years but I think I've been a bit afraid that I'd do something wrong and kill myself :)  But I got a book that seems like a great guide, The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving.  Do any of you guys can food?

p.s. don't forget to enter my giveaway sponsored by Twig and Leaf Botanicals!

-kala

15 comments:

Emmakat said...

Funny you should mention it! A friend of mine in Seattle just started a canning blog: http://wardcannerist.blogspot.com/ But I know very little about the subject, myself.

quinn said...

I love that your excitement level can be indicated by the inclusion of tiny houses :)

Flannery said...

Hooray! I'm actually thinking about teaching canning this year, working on getting access to a commercial kitchen.

VeganCraftastic said...

Flannery, that is SUCH a great idea!

Jamie said...

Lucky you!

missmuffcake said...

Nice gift! Great looking pasta!

VeggieAmanda said...

I have wanted to learn how to can as well! I recently made sunchoke pickles and I put them in a mason jar, but I didn't "can" them.

Aubree said...

"putting food by" is another must-read for canning. next you'd have to start GROWING your own--do you have any outside space in your place? They sell "pot" tomatoes, perfect for out on the patio...:-)

Jamie said...

I absolutely love to can food! I find it to be very theraputic and rewarding. My mom has canned for years, so I had a great teacher...I just wish I had paid more attention. Now I rely on a nice book that she gave me and the Internet to figure stuff out. I also call home a lot though, too!

JFibers said...

Hey, I want to do this too! Count me in!!! Come on Flannery, teach us all. I will have a HUGE kitchen in one month's time...

yoel said...

I totally want to learn how to can too! Tomatoes are a good place to start b/c apparently you don't have to add any citric acid or other stuff, they just get peeled and put away. Dunno though, there is always the vague threat of botulism...

Stacie said...

What a wonderful gift. This Christmas my in laws sent us home canned spaghetti sauce, salsa, and stewed tomatoes. All we have left are the stewed tomatoes, though. I love to can! I learned from my mother and grandmother when I was very little. I recommend, "Canning and Preserving with Ashley English" from the Homemade Living series. It has all the how-to, explainations on the science part of canning, and great recipes!

Patricia said...

YUM! Looks really really good. Hope to try my hand at canning this summer but it depends on our garden. With a wee due any day now and a crazy toddler, I'm not sure how the garden or canning will work out but as always, I have the best intentions...

Rachel said...

I started canning last year and I highly recommend the book Canning & Preserving with Ashley English! It's good for beginners and everything I made (including tomato sauce) turned out great... I can't wait to can again this summer!

Debbie said...

Food that is home canned ALWAYS tastes better. And I did a double take for about 3 seconds because I looked at the picture and thought those were slices of....sausage on the pasta and I was like, "Wait! She is Vegan. What is THAT sausage doing there?" And then I put on my glasses and read the rest of the post and realized they were mushrooms.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...