Saturday, March 05, 2011

Upcycled Knitting Envelope Tutorial


I'm really excited about this tutorial I put together, I've had this idea in my head for months but just recently dug out my stack of vintage knitting magazines and got to work!  Aren't these envelopes cute?

These fun upcycled knitting envelopes are fun and easy to make!  I hope you guys enjoy this tutorial!

Step 1:  Gather vintage knitting magazines.  Or any magazines for that matter, it's up to you!  Mine were mostly found at yard sales, and thrift stores are a good place to hunt too.



Step 2:  Find an envelope to use as a template.  Carefully take the envelope apart so you can use it to trace new envelopes onto your magazine pages.  Free envelope templates can also be found online if you don't have an envelope to use, here's just one page of free temples.  Be sure that your envelope template is not larger than a standard magazine page when laid flat.



Step 3:  Lay your template down on a page and trace your shape on the wrong side of the page you want to use.  This way, if you slip with your pen or pencil, your oopsie will be on the back and not the front of your envelope.

Step 4:  Cut out your envelope, fold and make sure everything lines up correctly.  Using either a liquid glue or gluestick, glue the bottom flap to the side flaps, it helps to use a premade envelope to use as reference if you have trouble visualizing how your envelope should come together.



Step 5:  Let your envelope dry and enjoy!  If you're going to mail your envelope, you may wish to make it double layered for firmness.  To do this, just trace 2 envelopes and glue them together and fold as usual.  To seal, either use tape or glue strips.



-kala

15 comments:

Jamie said...

I love making envelopes! I always feel good about using up old magazines instead of just pitching them! Your knitting ones are awesome! I also use old magazines for collage work in my classroom.

StarSpry said...

Very cool tutorial! Thsnks for sharing :)

gluecksfisch said...

I wish I had vintage knitting magazines! Maybe I can find some on a flea market...

Thanks for sharing this tutorial!

Carla said...

I love making envelopes as well! I think I'll do this with this small pile of NatGeo magazines I have hanging out in my room.
Thanks for sharing! :3

Amoronia said...

Great idea!

JFibers said...

Look at you and your fancy tutorial... nice job!!! You're really becoming an inspiration to young folks everywhere! Hugs!

Oddity:86 said...

Cool idea, they look great! :)

Emily said...

Awesome! What a great way to make unique envelopes. Thanks for the tutorial :)

Thriftgoddess! said...

Love this. This is so great, and I do have lots of crazy vintage knitting mags.

Rachel said...

cute project!

Maggie said...

LOVE this! I must try it some time! What a great way to make mail fun!

Patricia said...

What a fantastic idea!!! My sissy used some Antropologie catalogues to wrap some presents in for the holidays, I'll have to tell her about this idea too, I think it could work in so many ways! Now if I could bear to cut up my vintage knitting pattern books....maybe I'll start with my seed catalogues first...thanks for sharing this, Ms. Brilliant!

PuNk rAwK pUrL said...

great tutorial! a good reminder for me. I haven't done this in years!
& i love that you used the word "oopsie". hehe

Julie said...

Great tutuorial!

Hank hendricks said...

I love making Gift Card envelopes.. very cool tutorial..my i find some of them?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...