Friday, March 04, 2011

Vegan Tea Cake

Wednesday night, I decided to try a recipe from one of my library books, Cake Keeper Cakes.  Since the pantry is looking a little bare (we were out of chocolate chips, the horror!) I only had two real choices for cake.  I went with the tea cake:


The cake was yummy and  interesting to make, the first step was to soak raisins in hot tea to infuse them with flavor.  After the cake batter is ready, you drain the raisins and stir them in, they really give the cake a unique taste.  Since this isn't a vegan cookbook, I of course had to veganize the recipe.  It was super easy though, I just used vegan versions of everything!

Cake Keeper Cakes is a really fun book, I think I might have to buy a copy for myself.  The book is filled with easy to make cakes, making it a great book for those who haven't done a ton of baking from scratch (cough...Jen...cough) or for days when you just want something simple and delicious.  I'm looking forward to trying the Blackberry-Pecan Snack Cake, Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cake, Cream of Coconut Cake with Chocolate-Coconut Glaze, and the Peanut Butter and Jelly Crumb Cake.  

Baked anything delicious lately?

p.s. my adorable little vegan cupcake stand is from Vegan Dish - I LOVE her work!

-kala  

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I love that cake stand! I just checked out her etsy shop... one of my new faves!

gluecksfisch said...

The cake looks delicious!

I baked some banana muffins recently. Yummy! Should make them again soon...

Emma K. said...

I thought you said you weren't great with graphic design! :P I love the way you've been styling your photos recently, it's very graphic-y. Plus this cake looks and sounds so good!

JFibers said...

Hey now, did you not ready my Day 63 post? Apparently not!!!! G and I made wontons- FROM SCRATCH!!!!! HA! P.S. You are invited to my new house after I sign all the papers. Oh, and you can bring these. They look good even though they're vegan. Hee hee

thursday said...

ohhh this looks fantastic! I've never had to infuse anything with a flavour, but that sounds like a lot of fun. I haven't baked anything in ages, but I have some sad looking bananas on my counter that are just asking for it. must find a great recipe this evening!

Wish Me Luck said...

What a cute cake stand! I have never really tried Teacake before! it looks really good!

cseneque said...

LOVE vegandish, Jeanette is so clever and such a sweetie.

Cassidy said...

Very cute photo!
Tea cake sounds delicious, I'll have to try making it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...