Friday, March 18, 2011

A Very Vegan St. Patrick's Day!

Did everyone have a fun St. Patrick's Day yesterday?  I can't say it's a holiday that my husband and I really get excited about, but it's fun to wear a bit of green and be festive in our own way.  I actually finished a knit project last night:


It's a Celtic Heart Knot headband!  Here's a side pic so you can see the knot better:



Cute, right?  The inspiration came late last night when I read the newest post on Emmakat.  She made a super cute Celtic knot necklace and I had to give it a try.  I have to admit, I'm not a master of knots and this project was nearly the death of me, but two youtube videos later I finally figured out the knot!  The pattern was super easy to follow and it's called the Celtic Heart Knot from maddycraft.  Here's a link to the youtube video that helped me the most.  As you can see, I'm wearing the project as a headband rather than a necklace and I think it's pretty dang cute!

I don't drink alcohol, but I did have a festive green drink yesterday, here's my green apple iced green tea from the Tea Garden, it was delicious!  Sorry for the less than awesome cell phone pic :)



While working on my headband, the husband and I watched an awesome Irish zombie movie called Boy Eats Girl- you guys know how much I love my zombie movies and this one was really fun!


Finally, I did a bit of late night baking and made some delicious vegan whoopie pies with green filling!  The recipe I used is from the book My Sweet Vegan and it was fantastic, I'd never made whoopie pies before but they were a breeze to make.  The only change I made to the recipe was that I used strawberry soy yogurt instead of the vegan sour cream because that's what we had on hand. 



So what did you guys do on St. Patrick's Day?

-kala

14 comments:

marney & swa said...

I LOVE THAT HEADBAND! Very cute. Can you believe I've never had a whoppie pie!? I just love saying Whoppie.
After work I started to train my dog to hold a treat on his nose. My main squeeze and I went to get a couple of beers and played wi. I took the night off from crafting but not tonight! Jewelry to make.
Take care! : )

Emma K. said...

Very cute! I thought I was going to have more trouble with the knot than I did! Thought it was very hand the pattern had pics and links to videos though! Thanks for the mention! :)

Jamie said...

That headband is adorable

Cody said...

I forgot to wear green, drink beer, or celebrate! lol! Love the headband you made. :)

Randi said...

Very cute headband! Not a huge fan of the holiday myself (or any holiday where presents aren't mandatory, really) AND I accidentally wore green because my only clean shirt was green. So I ended up if not celebrating at least getting accosted by people who thought I was!

CupcakeCatie said...

im really loving that headband! :)
those whoopie pies looks extremely yummy as well!

Catherine said...

I made a headband on St. Patrick's Day too! You can see it over on my blog- I hope you follow it too, I'll follow yours..found this via twitter. I didn't really do anything special as I find the local parades enjoyable when the kids are small. Only when I lived abroad did Paddy's Day get celebrated with Green Beer - we never do it in Ireland! Love your cute headband knot!
Catherine

thezenofmaking said...

Glad to see the headband turned out! I was following the knot drama on Twitter. :)

pentalia said...

Wonderful headband--how clever!

St. Patrick's Day was quiet here, I did wear a strand of malachite beads that I strung. But today I'm playing harp--my Celtic set--at a friend's resale shop. Wish me luck.

missmuffcake said...

the head band is simple but it draws you in! good job!

Cassidy said...

Super cute headband!
And that green apple green tea looks oh so refreshing.
I don't drink alcohol either, so festive herbal teas are always welcome :)

JFibers said...

Delicious!!! The headband looks great! Nice work lady!

yoel said...

Wow, and this is a holiday you don't get excited about?!?!? The headband looks really great, and the pies look delish!!

Ainsley said...

yum, i love whoopie pies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...