Friday, April 22, 2011

Lace Knitting: An Exercise in Faith

If there's anything crafty that requires a bit of faith, it's lace knitting.  Especially when you're using laceweight yarn, your project most likely looks like a scrunched up disaster until you block it.  I've been working on the Rock Island shawl for a bit, here's how it's going:


It doesn't look like much yet, but I have to keep reminding myself that it's going to be gorgeous when it's done and blocked!  Blocking, for you non-knitters out there, is basically when you finish a project, wet it, pin it out to dry, and stretch out the lace so when it's dry it's nice and open and pretty. 

Speaking of blocking, this pattern recommends using blocking wires.  I've never used them before, have any of you guys used them?  Are they something I need to invest in?

-kala 

13 comments:

Sugar Dimples said...

That looks beautiful even without blocking! What is this going to be when finished exactly?

Sugar Dimples said...

Oh I wish I could go edit that last post, I just now saw it's going to be a shawl. Shew! That looks like a lot of work, can't wait to see it finished :]

Gaile said...

Your off to a good start! I'm waiting for my yarn to arrive (I caved and ordered Jared's LL's Grand Street Ink colourway).

Regarding blocking wires, I have them and love them for blocking scarves and lace. I find it's faster for me than my old method of a bazillion pins.

Miss Julep said...

It's going to be fantastic! I've never used wires before but I think that I would love them.

Kelaine said...

I love the color choice! It's going to be a beautiful shawl.
I love love love love my blocking wires. They are so much better than a million t-pins all over the place. Just let me know if you want to borrow them before investing in a set...

affectioknit said...

I have faith that it will be gorgeous! The colour is lovely!

Oddity:86 said...

That's gonna be beatiful and I love the color! :)

Janelle Haskin said...

That looks gorgeous! Can't wait to see the finished product!

xo
Janelle

www.janellehaskin.etsy.com

Flannery said...

That's about what mine looks like at the moment. I love blocking wires too.

urban muser said...

i am sure it will turn out beautifully. i have blocking wires and it is a little easier than using a billion pins, but not so amazing that i say you have to run out and buy them. am i making sense? :)

Emmakat said...

I can already see something pretty there. That's a neat pattern!

katili said...

I live by my blocking wires. I can block a small shoulder shawl with only 10 pins.

Your shawl will be lovely when it's done :) It's a beautiful color!

chemicalika said...

Ooo, it's looking good. I just finished this shawl and the band is the longest part of this knit - after this it goes super fast. But yes, it is a lot about faith - the transformation when you block is one of my favorite parts of lace knitting.

I knit a LOT of lace shawls and I don't own blocking wires and generally don't feel the need to buy any (aside from anything they're hard to get hold of in the UK), but I think it would be easier with some. I think it's up to you and how often you will be knitting lace (I don't tend to block anything else in the same way).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...