Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lightlife Review: Vegan Smoky Tempeh Strips



In my last post, I mentioned that Lightlife sent me some free samples of their products to give a try and review here on my blog.  The first thing I dug into was their vegan Smoky Tempeh Strips, or Fakin' Bacon.  I have to tell you, I was a bit wary of this product because I think bacon is disgusting.  I know a lot of omnis have a bit of a bacon obsession but I've always thought that everything about it is vile - the smell, the taste, ewww!

That being said, I really liked Lightlife's Smoky Tempeh Strips!  It didn't remind me of bacon (which is a really good thing) and it had a nice smoky flavor without being overpowering.  I had mine in a sandwich:


It's pretty much a package of marinated tempeh, which is perfect for quick dinners or lunches, especially in the summer.  I'd definitely buy some of these strips and do some sammy experiments with it.  The husband liked them too, and he shares my bacon opinions :) 

Have you tried this stuff yet?

p.s - be sure to enter my Lightlife giveaway!


-kala

7 comments:

Vanessa said...

What is tempeh? That looks good and this is coming from a bacon lover.

VeganCraftastic said...

Vanessa - tempeh is a soy product, it's basically fermented soy beans pressed into a cake, it has a bit of a nutty flavor. Like tofu, it can be marinated and dressed up to taste like just about anything.

CupcakeCatie said...

Looks and sounds yummy!

pearlslaceandruffles said...

Ooh this is making me hungry! I never really loved bacon but it would be nice to have an alternative when all of my family/friends are munching on their bacon! hehe. xo

Dani said...

I've never tried the tempeh bacon but have heard good things about it. No where around here carries it; we have to take a 30 minute drive to get anything like this!

Thea said...

I've never liked the taste of bacon either. To each their own!

nicklovin said...

I'm a big fan of this product. I tried making my own tempeh bacon a few weeks ago and...yeah, I failed. The parts that weren't burnt tasted just like plain old tempeh.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...