Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Homemade Strawberry Jam!



Last night I finally learned how to make and can jam!  My friend Flannery offered to teach her friends how to can, and when a MN state fair ribbon winner offers to teach you to can, you get your butt over there and learn!  And learn I did.  I've been scared to try canning for years, it just seems so intimidating, like if you do one thing wrong you'll create a botulism monster that will crawl into your bedroom and kill you in the night.  But seeing everything done by someone whose been doing it for over 20 years made it way less intimidating. 

Flannery will be teaching a canning basics class at EggPlant next month, so if you're in the Twin Cities area, I highly recommend stopping by the shop or calling in to reserve your spot!  Info about class times and how to register can be found on the EggPlant site

For our lesson, we made two delicious kinds of strawberry jam, a basic jam and a batch of strawberry vanilla jam made with real vanilla beans.  We used this recipe from Food in Jars and it came out amazing, I can't wait to crack open the jar and inhale it, my husband will have to act fast if he wants any!

Of course, now that I know the basics I've been going through all of my canning books picking out what I want to make.  Unfortunately, I seem to want to make EVERYTHING!

So what's your absolute favorite kind of jam or jelly?

-kala

9 comments:

Cabootique said...

Strawberry vanilla jam sounds delicious! My grandma used to make/can strawberry jam, and there is nothing else that even compares to that! It was so good.

missmuffcake said...

Want! I love jam - but sometimes what you get in the store is to gritty or sweet. I grew up on grape - love it! Now we get strawberry all the time...

Flannery said...

Thanks for the advertisement Kala, it was super-fun last night!

Napiligal said...

Did she teach you to add dab of butter to stop the foaming that happens? That's the tip that my friend taught me. I have never canned jam by myself, always with my friend Linda.

buy rift account said...

i'm drooling right now! *drools*

Joane said...

Mmmm, they look great. A couple of years ago I made a spiced cranberry orange jam for the holidays for gifts. I gave it with a scone mix. I think my favorite so far is the plum jam I made.

Sara said...

Strawberry vanilla! Oh, that sounds so good...

Glad you took a chance and went to learn how to can.

JFibers said...

WOWZA these look delicious... I expect to see these at the next knit night that I come to...

Yolanda said...

So what makes it vegan? Did you replace the sugar with something else?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...