Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Making Stuff and Doing Things

Lately I've been all about the DIY!  It's been too hot for me to really want to knit or crochet, so I've been pouring all my creative energy into gardening, sprouting, and making delicious homemade foods.

Let's start with the sprouting.  I picked up a big glass sprouting jar from Whole Foods, a packet of mung bean seeds (I picked these because I read that they sprout really fast), read a bunch of articles on sprouting, and watched a ton of youtube videos.  After my brain was full of way too much sprouting info, I set to work.  Here's how the little guys looked the second morning:


And today, the third morning:


Cool, eh?  As soon as I sprout a few more things and taste what I've sprouted, I'll put up a detailed sprouting post with what I've learned.  It's a ton of fun though, especially if you're the kind of person who would get a kick out of seeing daily progress, I'm thinking this would be really fun to do with kids too!

I've also been gardening!  Parking lot gardening to be exact.  We don't have any outside space to ourselves in this apartment, but last year I saw some tenants growing tomatoes out back in the parking lot area near the picnic bench and thought I'd give it a try.  We picked up a patio yellow cherry tomato plant at Menards (I didn't want to chance starting from seeds this time, I'm not a very experienced gardener) and the little guy is doing quite well:


I also have a basil plant that I picked up from Trader Joes of all places, and a teeny jalapeno plant that I got at ACE.

On the kitchen front, I've had the chance to try a few cool new things, chia seeds being my favorite.  The pudding that I made using this recipe was eaten too quickly to get a picture, but chia seeds are amazing enough that they'll get their own post eventually.  I also made vegan horchata:


If you haven't had horchata before, it's a delicious drink made from rice, cinnamon, sometimes vanilla, and sometimes some sort of milk.  I used this recipe because it didn't require any cooking (perfect since it was literally over 100 degrees yesterday).  I left out the vanilla extract and used vanilla almond milk for the "milk."  It was really delicous and I encourage everyone to try making horchata, it's really refreshing!

So what have you guys been making and doing?

-kala

9 comments:

Amy said...

I've been wanting to try sprouting, we go through a lot of radish sprouts. You make it look easy!

affectioknit said...

I know what you mean about the weather - crazy...it's only been in the 60s here - to cold for the pool and really too cold for much gardening...I'm going to plant a garden somewhere soon though - just not in my backyard...

...and I love Horchata!...sadly - we don't have ANY Mexican restaurants here though...I'll have to make some...

missmuffcake said...

I have a nice back yard with zero skillz to grow anything. It is pretty depressing!

ElfRenee said...

Aww, I love the first sprout, so cute! And how awesome that you are parking lot gardening! Your tomatoes look great! Your horchata sounds awesome, I really want to try that!

Carla said...

Oh those sprouts are cute :3 I've been tending to my garden, it's slowly but surely growing. The weird weather makes it difficult to keep up a good regiment of care, but I'm getting there.

Rachel said...

I sprout mung beans, too! I love eating them with veggies in pita pockets. I think I need to try that Horchata, too!

Dani said...

Love this post! I need to try my hand at some sprouts. There's nothing like a quick feeling of accomplishment, especially a healthy one you can eat!

Also, thanks for the horchata recipe! I've never even heard of those and can't wait to try it.

Ammie said...

Yum! I have some almond milk and would love to mix it up for a refreshing drink tomorrow. :)

Hannah said...

Sprouts are so cute! I mean, tasty of course, but rather adorable too. I haven't sprouted anything seriously in quite a while... Sounds like a good summer activity, alright!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...