Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My Week With Wilton

Last week, I finally got to do something I've been wanting to do for years - take a cake decorating class!  When I discovered that my local Joann offered Wilton decorating classes, I knew I had to sign up.  See, I have few decorating supplies, but my skills never really developed beyond basic borders on cakes. 

I signed up for Course 1:  Decorating Basics which ran for 2 hours a night for 4 nights in a row.  I really liked this set up because there was no break in which to forget any skills or lose my cake decorating enthusiasm.  The first day of the class, the instructor (who was sweet, charming, talented, and a really great teacher) went over the basics of baking a cake, making frosting, tools...and then we got to practice a bit with some of the tips in our kit.  By the end of the night, we were decorating the sugar cooking we brought in with cute little star tip designs. 

Over the next few nights, we learned how to use all of the tips in our kit, how to properly crumb coat and frost a cake, make frosting leaves and flowers and the fundamentals of cake design.  On our final night, we decorated a cake that we brought in.  My cake turned out kinda cute, but you can tell that I need a bit more practice on my flowers ;)

My cake!

I would totally recommend Wilton classes for anyone looking to try their hand at cake decorating.  Even if your only goal is to have the ability to decorate birthday cakes for your family, the basic class is worth it, it provides you with the skills you need for all sorts of frosting decorations and you won't have to depend on store bought cakes for celebrations.  I don't always take classes when I want to learn a new skill, but cake decorating success depends a lot on thing like angles of your pastry bag and consistency of your frosting and those things are great to see in person.  And fellow vegans or folks with food allergies, don't worry, you bring in all your own baked good to decorate and are encouraged to make and bring in your own frosting so you don't have to worry about working with any non-vegan ingredients!

Have any of you taken a cake decorating class?

-kala

12 comments:

Evie's Tool Emporium said...

Yes, I took classes several years agao and I had the time of my life! I have had so much fun experimenting with different techniques! Glad you enjoyed yourself and happy decorating!

ohdessa said...

Every time I've gone to sign up, they've been full. One day!!

missmuffcake said...

Can you bring your own supplies to a class? I wanted to take a class but did not want waste money on non-vegan stuff on a cake I could not eat.

Miss Julep said...

Ooo yum! It looks so yummy! NICE job!

VeganCraftastic said...

missmuffcake - yes, you can totally bring your own supplies, we were encouraged to make our own frosting so I used the buttercream from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. We also brought in our own cookies, cupcakes, and cakes to decorate, so there were no worries!

Abby said...

While I haven't taken a Wilton course, I have been thinking about it. I've been on the fence about whether it would be worth my time. Thanks for the rec. Your roses are very nice looking.

Lots of cake decorators use criso instead of butter in their buttercream because it keeps the color whiter. That's vegan, no?

Napiligal said...

Lovely. I used to work at a cooking school and one of the most popular classes was cake decorating. You probably already know this, but buy some cheap frosting and practice with your tips on parchment paper. You scrape the frosting bak into the bag and keep practicing. You're on your way!

Jamie said...

How cool! I didn't know Joann's had classes like this!

coughingcolors said...

Good job ladyfriend!!

A few years back when I worked at a Joann superstore, I took the classes. They are all incredibly informative and helpful. Not to mention having the certificates aided me on getting my first cake decorating job!

Michelle said...

I am amazed by the creations on all the cake decorating shows! I don't get to watch a lot, because I don't subscribe to cable, but the Have Cake Will Travel Lady just blows my mind! Might have to look into a class like the one you took!

foodfeud said...

I've never really heard of anywhere around here having cake decorating classes, but maybe it's because I haven't been looking. It would be a nice skill to have.

AikoVenus said...

Beautiful - I wonder if my city has any cake decorating classes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...