Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Homemade Vegan Pop Tarts




Last night, my husband and I made a batch of vegan pop tarts!  I've been wanting to make these for quite a while, but since my fridge is full of yummy homemade jam, I figured the Pop Tart start were aligned.  The initial inspiration for these treats came 100% from Williams Sonoma.  While shopping this winter with a gift card I got from my mom, I stumbled on the Toaster Pastry Presses.  And like so many cool little tools and gadgets at Williams Sonoma, I knew I had to have it! 

I admit, I was never a huge fan of Pop Tarts so I haven't really missed them as a vegan (they're not even vegetarian, the frosting contains gelatin).  Although I did read in VegNews that the unfrosted strawberry Pop Tarts are in fact vegan, so that's nice for those looking for a quick treat every once in a while!

Anyway, back to the homemade treats!  I decided to go ahead and veganize the recipe that came with the pastry press, it seemed simple enough.  For the filling, I used homemade Cherry Raspberry freezer jam that I made a few days ago.  The recipe for that jam will be available at some point, I'm really happy with how it came out!  I decided to leave off the frosting, I planned on eating one for breakfast and that much sugar first thing in the morning would just make me feel oogy. 

The pastry press tool was really easy to use and totally worth it for such cute and evenly sized treats:



These guys were delicious and I'll be making them again for sure!

What filling would you use for a homemade pop tart?

-kala

10 comments:

affectioknit said...

Those look so yummy! I'd probably go the raspberry route as well...as we've got raspberry overload right now...I'm making peach raspberry smoothies every morning...

Emma said...

A toaster pastry press! Gosh they make everything now. Cherry raspberry sounds delicious. In the UK we could only ever get hold of the strawberry or chocolate pop tarts but I remember reading that they made 'smores' ones :) Now a vegan and 'real' smores poptart I'm sure would be fabulous! Although alternatively I would go for something apple and cinnamony...

kristieinbc said...

These look yummy! Like you I was never a Pop Tart fan, but yours look very tempting. Do you think you would need the press to make them?

VeganCraftastic said...

Kristieinbc, you could make them without a press for sure, just make 2 identical pieces of dough, lay some filling down between, and press them together with your fingers or a fork.

Chelsea said...

Awesome! Raspberry was definitely the way to go. :) (Although, unfrosted strawberry Pop Tarts are the best, beside the apple cinnamon.) I'd love to make some!

Emily said...

Wow! Those look soooo much better than the real thing ...

foodfeud said...

So cute!

thezenofmaking said...

Those look great! I'm also loving the napkin. (What can I say, I'm a fabric nerd for life..)

jojojewel said...

do you have a recipe for the pastry you made these with? it looks nice and flaky.

VeganCraftastic said...

jojojewel - I veganized the recipe that came with the pastry press :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...