Friday, July 08, 2011

Marmalade Umlaut



How could you not love a zine called Marmalade Umlaut?  And why won't blogger let me use an umlaut.  Curses!  Anyway, the awesome Maud of the blog Food Feud was kind enough to send me issue 17 of her food zine Marmalade Umlaut and I have to say, I enjoyed it thoroughly.  For me, the best part about zines is getting a little peek into another person's world, and this zine had plenty of personal stories that I loved.  I think Maud's food memory stories were my favorite!  There are also several yummy looking recipes to try, bonus!  Definitely hop on over to the Food Feud blog, it's full of all sorts of yummy deliciousness, thanks so much Maud!

In honor of Marmalade Umlaut, I thought I'd share a food memory of my own.  Oddly enough, many of my food memories don't involve my actual family, but my second family, the Nguyens.  I've known them and been super pals with Ted and Thao since I was 4 or so, and many of my earliest memories involve them.  Anyway, fast forward to the teenage early vegan Kala years and one of the last time I was in California.  The whole family (that is, the Nguyens, me, and my parents) wanted to get together to eat and in true Nguyen dad fashion, we ended up at a random restaurant in a strip mall in the valley.  I don't remember what it was called exactly, but it had seafood and king in the name, I believe.  So of course, I assumed that I would starve!

It was one of those restaurants where most of the menu wasn't in English so I felt hopeless that I could find a vegan morsel.  But luckily, Nguyen dad saved me by talking to the waitress.  After a few failed attempts at explaining what vegan meant, he had a brilliant idea and told her I was a strict Buddhist.  Yes!  You could see the little light bulb pop up over her head and she said "oh, no meat!" and she scurried off into the kitchen.  She returned with a plate of yummy fried tofu and a noodly veggie soup for the little Buddhist impostor :)

Share one of your favorite food memories in the comments, I've love to read them!

-kala         

7 comments:

missmuffcake said...

When I was a teen I had a friend and his parents worked in the meat department/butcher shop of a store. So you would think me being veg was going to be an ordeal at their house right? Wrong they made me feel at home by making me veg stir fries and getting me food!

birrrd said...

I write it for you: Marmalade Umläut
That sounds funny. It sounds like someone who doesn't speak german saying something he believes is german.

birrrd said...

Well - you probably don't belong to the unknown blogger- category. but spreading the vegan word is a goal. and spreading vegan and crafting at the same time is more than perfect. well. what i wanted to say is i named you here:
http://birdnotpfird.blogspot.com/2011/07/awards-blogawards.html
best,
birrrd

foodfeud said...

Hey Kala! Thanks so much for the write up. I have way too many food related memories, I'm glad you enjoyed those. And I loved hearing yours, haha.

dirtyduck said...

yay i love Mauds zine! i keep the ones she sent me in my keepsake box, they are special:)

dirtyduck said...

little Buddhist impostor ...hahahahha

JFibers said...

Buddhist, huh? Your lutheran, catholic, pagan, Pantheism grandmother would be so proud.... Love you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...