Wednesday, July 06, 2011

A New Goal


I'm back!  I was gone during the longish 4th of July weekend, up north visiting my parents to be exact, so the blog had to take a little break.  And while I was gone I made a decision.  Or more like a goal?  For the past few months I've been struggling with weight loss, as I'm inching closer to 30, staying at the weight I feel best at is getting ridiculously hard.  So instead of beating myself up and driving myself crazy about a half pound weight gain, my new goal is simple:  Get Strong.  Physically strong like I've never been before. 

If I lose weight, fine, but what I'm focusing on is feeling healthy, strong, and flexible.  I've had a bad back almost all my life (so does my dad, what a great thing to inherit!) and when I work hard on my core (which I haven't done lately) my back pain lessens and occurs much less often.  I've never been strong, I spent most of my teenage years as obese (I used to weigh well over 100 pounds more than I do now) and never did anything active.  I work out pretty regularly now, but there are still things I've never been able to do, like a non-modified push up, I can't even do one!  So one of my goals is not only to do a push up, but to do a one armed push up.  Crazy right? 

I think the biggest challenge won't be physical, it will be getting past ingrained thoughts about weight and size that intellectually I know are completely stupid but deep down still bother me sometimes.  Things like clothing size, when I was a kid, my mom made a huge huge deal when I would go up a size and I would feel horrible.  So now when I try on a size I think I should fit and it doesn't for whatever reason, I have to remind myself that the number doesn't matter, you wear the size that's comfy and that fits.  End of story.  And please don't think my mom is terrible, we have a MUCH better relationship now that I'm an adult.  Moms and daughters are so complicated!

Anyway, back to my goal.  I officially started yesterday by trying Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred.  The first couple of parts are available on Comcast on Demand so I thought I'd give it a go.  And holy cow, it kicked my butt!  The workouts are all under 30 minutes, although I was only able to do 14 minutes before my legs turned to jelly and I had to quit.  But I'll be keeping at it, along with runs with my husband, yoga, and trips to the gym.  I picked up the DVD last night so I won't be sad when it disappears from On Demand, I hate when that happens!  Someone on twitter has even offered to do the 30 Day Shred along with me, which is great, support is awesome!  So I'm super excited about new goal, get ready for a super strong Kala!

-kala       

15 comments:

pentalia said...

That's a gorgeous picture of you!! I think you have a very healthy attitude, and I'm sure it will lead to both fitness and happiness.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful goal and fantastic attitude! I'm nearing 30 myself, and I've noticed some unwanted changes in my physique that I need to tackle as well. I like your approach of working towards being stronger, as opposed to focusing on the thin. And, it's ballsy to call yourself out online!

Michelle said...

Wonderful goal and fantastic attitude! I'm nearing 30 myself, and I've noticed some unwanted changes in my physique that I need to tackle as well. I like your approach of working towards being stronger, as opposed to focusing on the thin. And, it's ballsy to call yourself out online!

Jamie said...

What a great goal. My sister and I were doing the 30 day shred and it kicked our butts - we are trying to pick up back up but life keeps getting in the way.

affectioknit said...

Very best wishes!

tiffannysketchbook said...

go Kala!

ana said...

i think this is a wonderful goal! :) good luck and i am sure you will do wonderfully. you just have to truck on through.

foodfeud said...

Good for you, what a healthy and sane and personalized goal. I wimp out way too often. Think attainable, think happy. Good luck!

ohkeeka said...

I love this goal. Like you, I was overweight until my early 20s, lost almost 100 pounds, and now some of the weight is creeping back on. And it's not about the weight, it's just about not feeling fit, my knees bothering me, things like that.

Anyway, good luck with your goal. I have back problems too--stability balls are definitely your friend!

JFibers said...

Hey there lady. Good for you! If I wasn't carrying around a seahorse, I'd follow suit. This is exactly the same way I was feeling and talking about it about 6 months ago, remember? Hugs and I'll be waiting to see that push-up!!!

Randi said...

This sounds like a great, healthy, attainable goal to set - good for you! It's great that you're focusing on strength rather than weight, too. I weigh exactly as much as I did when I was a teenager and really, really unfit. Back then it was all fat. I set out to lose weight but ended up building muscle instead. When I was in yoga teacher training, that was something the instructor stressed - she said she worked with a lot of women who would be discouraged after their first few weeks in a new fitness routine to find that they'd gained weight. It sounds like you're approaching this with the right attitude, and I can't wait to read about your progress!

jessecreations said...

That's an awesome goal, I really like that idea rather than just trying to hit some arbitrary number on the scale. Good luck, it sounds like you're off to a great start!!

Jess

missmuffcake said...

I love working on with on demand! It is a lot cheaper than a gym since we already have cable!

Lina said...

Good luck on your Get Strong goal! It's such a great one to have! I also have stopped worrying about the number on the scale and have just made sure to keep working out and eating healthy. It's funny because number wise I'm still heavier than I was at my wedding but people keep asking me how much weight I've lost since the wedding, LOL! It's really true that just developing some muscle and getting toned keeps you feeling and being healthy and active. So I'm all for forgetting the scale and just working out. Looking forward to hearing about your work outs! :D

Lina
photoknitdog.com

Beth said...

I'm proud of you for setting this goal! Keep it up for you'll find your metabolism slowing down as you get older. I've been told it's about 30% slower every 10 years. And trust me, it's much easier to get this attitude and habits now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...