Thursday, July 14, 2011

Two Toned Swirled Frosting Tutorial

There are few things I love more than things that look really cool and complicated but are really super simple.  The swirled cupcakes I made this past Tuesday are one of those things, the two toned frosting looks magic, but really it's just a trick with pastry bags.  Here's how they came out:



This really is incredibly easy to do yourself, and I hope you'll try it sometime!  Here's what you do:

1.  Make and completely cool a batch of cupcakes of your choice. 

2.  Make or buy one batch of vanilla frosting and one batch of chocolate frosting.

3.  You'll need three pastry bags. I like Wilton Featherweight bags because they're reusable and easy to clean.  Take two of the pastry bags and cut the tip end off at about 3/4" from the end, but don't place a tip inside.  With the third bag, cut the tip end far down enough to fit a largeish star tip.  I used the M1 star tip from Wilton.  Now, fill the first two tipless bags with your frostings, one with vanilla and one with chocolate.  Place these bags inside the bag with the star tip.  Squeezing from the top of the bag, both frostings should feed out of the star tip in a swirled pattern.  Practice on your work surface or a plate before decorating your cupcakes.

4.  When you're ready to decorate a cupcake, hold your bag so that your tip is pointing straight down at your cupcake.  With an even pressure, squeeze your frosting out, starting at the outside (not the center) of your cupcake and work a steady swirl all around.  When you come to the center, stop squeezing before you lift your tip away to avoid a really tall peak on your cupcake.

Simple, right?  I'm looking forward to trying this technique with colored frosting for the holidays, especially Halloween!

-kala         

15 comments:

affectioknit said...

Gorgeous!

pentalia said...

Oooo, thanks for posting how you did this! It's marvelous.

Vanessa said...

Wow! Your cupcakes look amazing! I will have to try that!

urban muser said...

ok, i haven't had dinner yet, but can i have one? they look great!

mikka said...

oh my god those look delicious. gorgeous photos, by the way :)

knottygal said...

Oooh! the cupcakes looks delicious! thanks for sharing the tip..

The Procrastobaker said...

Brilliant! I am very new to the blogging and baking world so tips like this are so very gratefully received :) your cupcakes look delightful!

Tana said...

This looks so yummy!

Kathryn said...

Very cool! I've always wondered how to do this- thanks for the tips!

JFibers said...

Delicious!! I'll be collecting mine on Sunday, thank you!

Michele said...

Thanks for the follow on my blog! I've followed yours as well :)

kirbie said...

Oh thanks for providing this easy tutorial. I was wondering how to decorate this way.

kristieinbc said...

What a great idea! I am going to put it in my recipes file.

Jennifer said...

These look so good! I'm going to have to try this.

elephantJuice said...

These look fantastic, I'm definitely going to have to try it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...