Thursday, July 21, 2011

Unearthed

You know that feeling when you're clearing out junk from your home and you find something awesome, like that earring you've been missing or a random fifty dollar bill?  Yeah, well finding a craft project you completely forgot about is nothing like that!  It's evil because it means that I've started and abandoned so many projects that I'm actually forgetting they exist!  While cleaning out my craft closet I unearthed a granny square blanket I started just about 2 years ago, here are the pieces:



Thanks to Ravelry, I was able to figure out when I started this project (July 2009), what pattern I was following, and what hook I was using.  I started this blanket in hopes of using up my sock yarn scraps, of which there are MANY.  I have pretty big feet (size 10) but I also like shorter socks so I always end up with extra yarn.  But I think these projects where you work on them over time as you collect more scraps don't really work for me, unless I'm actively working on it, it just sort of falls to the outer edges of my brain (or deep deep inside my craft closet.)  But I do like the idea of a big crazy blanket made from scraps so I think I'm going to pick up the hook and get working on it again! 

Do you have any projects that have fallen to the wayside?

-kala 

8 comments:

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

oh man that's a good idea. I'm starting to accumulate a lot of those myself. I was considering starting a lot of fair isle knitting so I could use up scraps that way....

Beth said...

Love the quilt-to-be. But I was most taken with your comment about size 10 feet. Mine are the same size so I'm wondering what sock patterns you use that fit or how do you alter them to fit.

VeganCraftastic said...

Beth, I just try to make any pattern work with my feet, my feet aren't very wide so I think that helps. If a pattern calls for making the foot a certain length, I ignore it and work the foot until I reach a point around halfway up my pinkie toe, then I work the toe. It's a lot of trial and error really, and once you come up with numbers that work for you (especially with a vanilla socks) write them down and work from that for socks that fit perfectly.

JFibers said...

psst... hey you... you forgot about me... under your bed, in the back... i've been waiting for you to finish me too.... is it time yet?
your friend and ever patient,
norwegian sweater

Miss Julep said...

Oh yes, I can totally identify and have my own hidden, forgotten knitting & crocheting secrets:) The blanket is going to be wonderful!!

Hannah said...

Honestly, I'm afraid of digging into my stash of yarn, since I've stuffed so many half-finished projects in there... Except there's a sort of gruesome aspect to it as well, what with all of the severed stuffed animal limbs and such. Eek.

Anna said...

My crochet sock yarn blanket is waiting for me to finish 2-3 more pairs of socks before it's long enough to be called done! I do have a crochet squares blanket that is just hanging around as I found repeating the squares a bit dull but I will try and pick it up again sometime! Besides those I try to stay on top of my WIPs and I don't think I've actually ever forgotten one!

withalittleluck said...

that blanket will be so cute one day! i had a similar experience last month while going through my closet at my parents' house: found the beginnings of a patchwork quilt that i must have started about 15 years ago! i hope to finish it someday...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...