Tuesday, August 23, 2011

How to Dehydrate Jalapenos



One of the most amazing things about Summer is the abundance of gorgeous, delicious, local produce available at the farmers markets.  Here in the Twin Cities, we're lucky to have several markets that take place during the week, making it easy to shop even if you can't make it on the weekend.  This past week, I picked up two containers of fresh jalapeno peppers with the intention of pickling them.  Life got in the way however, and enough days passed that I decided to dry them instead.  My ultimate goal was to make something that tasted like the delicious dried jalapenos that I buy sometimes at Penzeys, they're SO GOOD!  I like them added into cornbread, chili, and any other dishes that need a bit of a kick.

So here's what I did to make my dehydrated peppers:

1.  Use organic, home grown, or farmers market quality peppers if you can.

2.  Use gloves AT ALL TIMES when you're handling the peppers.  Pepper oil is irritating to your hands and anything else you touch with your hands, so please be careful and don't burn yourself.

3.  Wash and dry your peppers.  Cut off the stem and discard.  Slice peppers into thin rings.  If you want a milder end product, remove the seeds and inner membrane.  I left mine in because I like it hot!

4.  Place your slices on racks in your dehydrator.  Dehydrate at 135 degrees F for about 12 hours, or until peppers are completely dried out.  I haven't dried anything using a regular oven, but it can likely be done, just do a bit of research for temps and times.  Make sure to dehydrate in a well ventilated area, the fumes from the peppers can be irritating to breathe.  I did mine in my kitchen with the window open and a fan blowing and didn't have any problems.

5.  After your peppers are dry, turn off your dehydrator and let the slices cool completely.

6.  Place your slices in a food processor (or you can chop them by hand, wearing gloves) and pulse until desired consistency is reached.

7.  Place in a clean jar or other container.  



What dishes would you use dehydrated jalapenos in?

-kala

11 comments:

readysetparty said...

Ooh, I haven't ever heard of dehydrated jalapenos. I bet they are yummy in cornbread!

Jessica said...

This is such a good idea. My husband will love it!

Shaheen said...

Oh I so so have to try this. I love all things spicy, so know this will be ravished. I already know it will be my fave after kale crips.

yoel said...

Mmm, those look great! They look perfect for mac & cheese!

Thea said...

I'm not a big pepper person, but they do look yummy! I had to leave my food dehydrator behind when i moved :( I miss it...

affectioknit said...

What a good idea...and a good reminder to use the dehydrator...

Hannah said...

Such a smart idea! I'm also growing some spicy peppers, and don't tend to need much at once, so this is a great way to preserve them until needed.

jenojoon said...

This is such a good idea! My friend is growing peppers and has been sharing them all summer! I'm going to do this! Thx! :)

Hot Pappers said...

Hey...I like your post so much.Visit my link as well.

Kymm816 said...

I use mine when I can. I dehydrate all the fresh veggies I can get in the summer then use them in canning in the winter. Made some chili beans the other day and used my dehydrated onions, garlic, celery, and jalapenos..and they turn out great that way!!! Love your ideas :)

Anonymous said...

I was in the San Francisco airport and bought a bag of white cheddar popcorn -- wish I could remember the brand name! -- that had dried thin sliced crunchy jalapenos in the popcorn mix. DEE-licious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...