Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Strength Goal Progress and the 30 Day Shred

So it's been a few weeks since I wrote about my big goal to get stronger (here's a link to that post if you'd like to read it) and I thought it was time for an update.


I've been really loyal to the 30 Day Shred DVD I bought, even though it kicks my butt!  But it's kicks it in a good way so all is forgiven :)  Anyway, I think today will be Day 20 of the Shred, I'm only counting days when I do a workout.  I've gone through all of the levels, there are three workouts on the DVD, each level is harder than the last and builds on muscles that you've strengthened in the previous workouts.  Level 2 is a killer, just so you know!  But it also makes my back feel amazing so I've been doing that for the past few workouts.  I think from now on, I'll just do whatever level I feel like that day because if I just do Level 3 for the rest of my life I'll go crazy!

I can definitely tell that the 30 Day Shred DVD has helped me get stronger.  I hit a very cool milestone yesterday, I was able to do a full on non-modified push up for the first time in my life, that was super exciting!  If you read my previous post, you know my ultimate goal is to do a one armed push up, so I'm on my way!  I can also see and feel muscles developing in my body, especially in the shoulder and back areas.  There's also new muscle development in my calves that I've never had before.  The workouts have also strengthened my core and helped TONS with my back pain. 

I haven't weighed myself since the start because my goal, like I said in my previous post, isn't to lose weight, but to get stronger and have less back pain.  I'll probably weigh myself at some point just to see where I'm at, but I'm really trying to get my mind past the number and more focused on how healthy I feel.  That is the hardest part of this journey for sure, it's like trying to reverse a lifetime of the message that the smaller you are, the better you are.  Which is of course total crap, but it's so ingrained from so early on that it's tough to beat.  But I'm getting better, stronger, and healthier, so I'm well on my way to my goal!

-kala   

5 comments:

Lisa @ all things * jane said...

We've been working out with Jillian, too! First her "No More Trouble Zones" [40 min.] and now 30 Day Shred, because 20 min. is easier to fit in consistently [and I was inspired by your Twitter updates]. It's hard but definitely worth it!

yoel said...

Good for you! I need to check this out--is any equipment required?

Randi said...

Getting your mind past the number is such a good way to look at it! Even if you're thinking smaller, you probably will get smaller, so that's fine - it's that number that'll do you in if you're exercising more and want it to go down.

It sounds like you're doing great! Good for you - can't wait to read more about your progress.

VeganCraftastic said...

Yoel - you'll need a somewhat lighweight set of handweights and a mat. I use 3lb and 5lb weights.

nicolaknits said...

I just found this at my local library so requested a copy - unfortunately there are 17 people in line ahead of me! This will be a good project for the fall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...