Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Adopt an Animal, Save a Life

Today's post is close to my heart, it's about the importance of animal adoptions and supporting animal rescue organizations.  According to the ASPCA, about 5 million to 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year, and approximately 3 million to 4 million are euthanized.  Numbers like that are staggering, there are just so many sweet animals that need a loving home, it really breaks my heart.  When there are so many loving animals out there that need a home, I just don't understand why anyone would buy a pet from a breeder, puppy mill, or pet shop that exists only to make profit from living, feeling, caring beings.  60% of dogs and 70% of cats that enter shelters will eventually be euthanized, please keep that in mind when you're thinking about where to find your new animal friend.

Here's Cinco, a sweet dog in Minnesota that needs a loving home:



If you're looking to add an animal buddy to your family, please adopt from a shelter or rescue organization in your area.  Petfinder is a great site, you can search for adoptable animals in your area and even search for specific breeds.  From pugs to mastiffs to kittens to bunnies, you can find the perfect addition to your family and bring home an animal that needs a forever home. 

While looking at tons of animals on Petfinder, one little guy caught my eye and broke my heart with his story.  Mr. Magoo is an 18 month old pug chihuahua mix that was left to die by his previous owners when they moved.  They left him alone in their home when they left, with no open windows, or even a fan to cool him down in the house that reached 108 degrees.  Mr. Magoo is lucky to be alive and needs a home in Illinois.  Here's the cutie:



Here in Minnesota, you can find adoptable animal friends from places like Animal Ark No-Kill Shelter, Small Dog Rescue of Minnesota, and the Animal Humane Society, just to name a few.  If you can't adopt a pet for any reason, there are still ways to help.  You can donate money or much needed supplies to your local shelter or rescue organization, volunteer your time, or even do something as simple as a blog post. 

Here's Athena, a kitten in Minnesota that needs a home:

   

If even one person reads this post and decides to adopt their next companion animal from a shelter instead of buying from a breeder, then I feel like I've done a bit of good.  Please share this blog post using the twitter button below or on Facebook to help get the word out.  Or even better, post about the importance of adopting animals on your own blog!

Have any stories about your adopted animals that you'd like to share?  I'd love to hear them in the comments!

-kala 

4 comments:

quinn said...

A good reminder - thanks :)

And for people who at this time can't adopt an animal or donate money or time to a shelter, may I suggest visiting www.theanimalrescuesite.com?
Clicking once per day costs nothing, takes two seconds, and provides food and support for shelter animals, through site sponsors who pay for each click. Bonus: it is a very sweet way to start the day!

Kelly said...

I just adopted a dog, and the months I spent perusing Petfinder and visiting shelters were so heartbreaking - I wanted to adopt all the animals I saw. Stories like Mr. Magoo's just make no sense to me. I can't understand how so many people can be so cruel. :(

Anyway... thanks for this post!

margaret said...

both of my kitties are rescues. One from the APL and one came to my door all by himself! I love these guys. In fact, I had never had a cat before Tiny Dinosaur found me. But let's face it, I'm a big softy and I would never have turned him out.

Currently arranging for the fostering/adoption of a litter of 5 at my mom's house.

The APL is right behind my house and so we get a lot of strays and probably "drop offs" around my street. I can't save them all, but we have been able to deliver a few cats to them to be cared for and adopted out.

Sara said...

All my babies have been rescued. I can't imagine paying for an animal when there are so many needy animals lingering in shelters.

Thanks for reminding us!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...