Monday, September 19, 2011

Blankets For Shelter Cats!

Yesterday was a cold, dreary, rainy day - perfect for staying in and crafting!  My husband and I had been planning for months to make some simple blankets for shelter cats, and yesterday was perfect.  The project was super simple, fleece no-sew blankets are probably the easiest blankets in the world to make, here's the tutorial we followed.  Here are our blankies, I used a cat print for mine and the husband used a dino print:

 
Cute, right?  Blankets like these are needed by shelters all around the world for lining cages, it keeps the cats comfy while they're waiting to be adopted and it's been shown that cats who have blankets in their cages are more likely to be adopted.  So if this sounds like a project you'd like to try, find an animal shelter in your area and find out what size blankets (or toys, or other needs) they need and spend an hour or so that will help an animal find a new home.  We also picked up a cat wand toy and a bunch of food to donate, we look forward to dropping off our kitty care package this week!

-kala

11 comments:

Taryn said...

Ooh neat! You know, I've always wanted to make one of these, I just never found the time to actually look up how to do it. Hah. So the tassels are just tied in a regular knot?

VeganCraftastic said...

Yup, double knotted!

missmuffcake said...

good for you! i sooooo love that kitty print fabric!!!!

pentalia said...

So cute, and what a sweet thing to do!

Jenn Dixon said...

What a wonderful idea! I will donate blankets and towels to the local shelter, but haven't really thought about making some.

Pumpkin said...

This is so awesome! You have inspired me to want to do the same!

Cabootique said...

That's such a nice idea! I love helping out at my local animal shelter, and I think I'm going to do this. Thanks for the inspiration.

Midnight Creations said...

I always donte old towels, making them is a great idea!

Michelle said...

Awe. Melts my heart to think of all the little babies that need forever homes. If I didn't have space restrictions, I would definitely have a small zoo. The blankets are a great idea, and I know they are very appreciated by the recipients!

Penny said...

Lovely idea, and so sensible to make blankets they can't catch their claws on! Lucky cats to have such lovely, cosy things to snuggle into. I hope they all get rehomed very soon and can pass their blankets on to the next batch of homeless kits.

Claire said...

I love you've done this!
Just think of all those kitties nice and cosy because of you
A while ago I made a load of catnip fish for the cats protection leave. Need to do it again

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...