Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Dancing Outside of Your Comfort Zone

This picture has nothing to do with dancing, but somehow seems appropriate for this post:




Trying something new can be the hardest thing in the world.  And for me, dancing is about as new as it gets!  A while ago, I purchased a Living Social deal that got me a great price on a community ed class.  And crazy pants me decided to use it for swing dancing!  I thought it would be something fun to do with the husband and I knew it would slap me in the face and shove me out of my comfort zone.  I think for some people, the discomfort would come from doing something new in front of other people, but that didn't bother me even a little bit, in general I don't mind looking stupid in public.  My confusion came from the actual dancing, it feels so unnatural!


I was by faaaaaarrrr, the most lost student in the class, you could tell that some of the students had a bit of a dancing background and were picking up moves right away.  Meanwhile, I struggled with the absolute basic steps.  But the woman in the instructor set was awesome and helped me out, she even danced with me a couple of times which was way easier than dancing with my husband!

It was sort of fun though, only sort of because I have a huge discomfort issue when I'm not good as something IMMEDIATELY.  It's something I'm working on though, because that kind of thinking can stop you from ever trying anything new.  So I'll be back next week and I'll be practicing at home, and maybe after a few weeks I'll be a little less lost.  One can hope!

-kala

4 comments:

Taryn said...

I did a salsa-dancing class at a gym once! What a NIGHTMARE! I was SO lost, haha, it was unreal. Even the people who weren't good seemed able to pick up the moves... but I was so out of step and moving in the opposite direction as everyone else most of the time. I just don't have a natural dance talent!

Dawn said...

Good for you!! I signed up for my first painting class last year and found out, even though I'm not as good as I'd like to be, that I LOVE it!! And, yes, stepping out of our comfort zone is important. Proud of you :D

Adi Pantera said...

I remember trying to learn to dance like that too, I was so lost at first as well!

Ammie said...

:) I am the dance move misfit most of the time, even in me YMCA aerobics classes in which I am the only non-geriatric attendee. I CAN dance, but usually only with half of my body--the top half OR the bottom half--at a time. . . until tons of practice teaches me. Dance classes would certainly be out of my comfort zone. Kudos to you for stretching yourself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...