Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Not So Finished Projects

So you know how I'm doing that free block of the month quilting course through Craftsy?  Well, I though it might be fun to dig through my fabric stash and see if anything would work for that project....and I ended up unearthing all sorts of unfinished quilting projects, oh no!  In another life I was a big time quilter, I was even in a guild when I lived in Northern Minnesota.  There is an armoire at my parent's house that is full of finished quilts that I made while living there, and I have a couple here too that you've seen in various photos on the blog.  But the thing that I don't like to think about is the stack of nearly and not so nearly completed quilt tops.  I'll share a few of them in the coming weeks (especially the shameful lack of progress on my wedding quilt) but I think I'll start with the Hillbilly redwork quilt that just needs borders:


Here's a closeup of one of the blocks:


I hand embroidered these blocks using patterns from a dishcloth pack from Aunt Martha's Embroidery Patterns, an awesome source for all things kitchy and retro.  I was (and still am) a big fan of redwork (embroidery done all in one shade of red) so that's what I went with for this quilt.  The fabric for the sewn blocks is from a collection of reproduction feed sack prints, perfect for the hillbilly theme!  I really do love this top, it's fun and silly which I of course love, so I really need to find the perfect fabric for the border and get this thing done!  

-kala  

3 comments:

amanda_cake said...

That is gorgeous... I hope you get around to putting the borders on it soon.

foodfeud said...

so great! The embroidery is ril cute stuff.

Sandy Keith said...

I bet I have more unfinished quilt tops than you do. It's a crime how many I have stashed away. I began quilting in the 70s, so figure out how many piles of UFOs I have packed away in every nook and corner.
Just in case you're interested, I was a feedsack kid. In the 40s, everything came in feedsack prints, but mostly animal food. Since my dad had a chicken hatchery as well as a chicken farm, we three girls wore feedsack clothes for what seemed like forever.

I also have a big stash of what is advertised as feedsack reproductions, but my two sisters and I agree that they are not really feedsack anything. They may be reproductions of the times, but they were NOT feedsack prints. Every single feedsack print was miniscule, usually on a pastel background and involved animals, kids, or flowers.

Just a bit of history for you from someone who lived through the original feedsack years.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...