Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Unintentional Mystery Yarn



You know how you trade yarn with someone three years ago, don't make any sort of note about what the unlabeled yarn is or even its fiber content and then pull it out of the stash and stare at it, demanding that it identifies itself?  No?  Just me?  Crap.  Oh, and I also have no memory of who I swapped for it, bonus!

Mystery aside, I pulled this purty green yarn out of my sock yarn stash so I could have a nice pair of plain vanilla socks on the needles.  I have a feeling that while I'm in my summer classes I'll need some mindless knitting, the amount of times the professor used the words "intense" and "intensive" in the syllabus is slightly worrying...so if I end up going crazy and you find me in the laundry room in the fetal position, you'll know why.    



Ok, back to the yarn.  Things I know for sure:

1.  There is at least some bamboo or soy content, the texture and shiny-pants quality lead me to this conclusion.

2.  It is not a sock yarn that I've ever used.  It feels nothing like Panda Soy, Panda Cotton, Maizy, Comfort Sock, or any other vegan sock yarn that I've had my hands on.

3.  The only details I remember about this yarn are that it's hand dyed and was only available locally (maybe the swapper was in Canada?)

4.  If I ever put yarn in my stash without making a note of what it is, someone should kick me with some sort of oversized comical cowboy boot.  Hard.

-kala

9 comments:

Kate said...

Ah, I was going to suggest Panda Cotton, because it looks so similar to the hand-dyed sock yarns from quovadishandspun on Etsy! Very mysterious yarn. :-)

mkonieczki said...

Hmmmm.... this is definitely a mystery. Hopefully somebody can step forward to identify the yarn for you.

affectioknit said...

It is gorgeous though...

Have a lovely day!

Veganosaurus said...

I'm very clueless when it comes to knitting but even I can see that is a very very pretty coloured yarn! Whatever you make with it will be lovely. :)

randipants said...

Have you checked out the Mystery Yarn group on Ravelry? They might be able to help.

Whatever it is, it's awful pretty.

Hannah said...

Oh man, I'd be lucky to even remember what sort of fiber I have on my hands most of the time- I don't save labels or make note of anything! It's all just a blend of fuzzy colors to me... Which is maybe part of the adventure? ;)

Sue said...

I do this all the time, especially getting mystery bags from the charity shop, I normally only use for projects that don't require a specific gauge. Very pretty yarn though

Nuckin Futs Knitter said...

Hmmm, mystery yarn, I'm stumped. It's a beautiful color though! :)

Chris said...

Hi Kala, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...