Thursday, June 21, 2012

Vacation!

As you may or may not know, I'm taking a couple of college classes this summer.  My first class, Perspectives in Young Adult Literature, just ended so I have a teeny tiny summer vacation to enjoy...until Monday when my next class starts.  But I did really well in my first class - got an A! - and my next class will be a challenge to say the least (the syllabus is kinda skeeery.)  Anyway, back to vacation.  So far I've had lots of time to knit, I even finished a pair of socks I've been working on since the beginning of time:



These are the socks I was knitting from the formerly mystery yarn - the Dye-Version Bamboo Fingering.  I can't say I love the yarn, the colors are pretty but the base yarn is weirdly slippery and slick and the socks laddered like crazy, not a problem I usually have with socks.  But what really matters is that they're DONE!    After my victory over the green menace, I cast on for a new pair of socks:


You can't really see the pattern when the sock isn't stretched, but it's really cool.  The pattern I'm using is a free one called Cadence.  The yarn is a new sock yarn I'm trying for the first time called Pediwick.  It's a bamboo/nylon blend that I picked up at 3 Kittens during the Twin Cities shop hop a while back.  At first I wasn't sure how I felt about the the yarn, it makes a pretty dense fabric, but the stitch definition is amazing and it's great to knit with so I think I've found a new love.

Today, my friend Chelsea and I journeyed over to Knits and Pearls for the first of their going out of business sales.  I didn't have anything in mind that I wanted to buy, but I figured I had earned a yarny reward for working really hard in my YA lit class.  Not that you need an excuse to beef up your stash!  Here's what I walked away with:

 
Vegan (duh) sock yarn and a set of my favorite size sock needles - 1.5, you can never have enough.  Ritz apparently approved of my purchases, he actually licked the red skein:

 

Oh Ritzy!

-kala

4 comments:

affectioknit said...

Congrats on finishing your class!...your new socks are pretty and summery...and I love the Cadence pattern with those swirls of cables!...cute kittie too!

~Have a lovely day!

mkonieczki said...

Great result on your class! The new socks look FAB!

lilndmama said...

I like Cadence in the red you picked! I knit them earlier this year in a blue/green blend :)

Hannah said...

What a productive vacation! Those socks are lovely, and tempt me to try knitting socks for myself at long last. They look so soft and cozy, plus I love the color yarn you chose.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...