Sunday, July 29, 2012

Hooping!

Hey look, I have a hula hoop:



And no, it's not for my cat.  Trust me, he HATES my hula hoop.  Or he's jealous.  Either way, he does his best to thwart me when I'm trying to practice.  Maybe he's just embarrassed for me and is trying to spare me?  Maybe.  Anyway, back to the hoop.  After hearing about hooping on a knitting podcast recently, I decided to give it a go, especially when I heard it was good for your back.  So I bought a handmade hoop from local hooper, Hooperina, and I love it.  LOVE IT.  If you're local and looking to get into hooping, I really recommend her hoops, they're super cute, really well made, and she does custom work. 

So I've been practicing on my own for a couple of weeks and I've gotten...okay.  I'm not super skilled yet, but it's a ton of fun so it's all good.  And today I took it one step further and took a hooping class with my friend Chelsea!  It was at Studio Booya and we were the only ones in the class, which was good because the  space was ridiculously too small for hooping.  The class was fun, mostly because I was taking it with a friend, the instructor was way too touchy feely "give your body permission to move without judgement" for me, but that's okay.  If you know me, you know I have a more cynical, sarcastic sense of humor, so that stuff is not my cup of tea and I find it hard to take seriously, but that's okay, it was still fun!  The hoops they had weren't great either, they were a lot lighter than the one I had and that made them harder to use.  So I wouldn't take another class with that instructor, but my hooping journey will continue on.  And hopefully Chelsea will buy a hoop too and we can be ridiculous together, yay!  Oh, and I also learned that Chelsea is the queen of hula hooping around her neck, it was crazy!  I was terrible and it felt like I was getting sucker punched in the neck.  

Have you tried hula hooping as an adult?

-kala

7 comments:

Adi Pantera said...

I love hula hooping! Since childhood I had been quite good at it. I've recently tried it out after years of leaving it alone, I was surprised I still had it!

Glad you're having fun with it by the way, it's a great pass time. :)

MicheleStitches said...

I have been reading and researching hooping like crazy. I want a hoop, but can't find one locally, so I'm thinking of making one myself! There are plenty of tutorials on line and it seems that a lot of serious hoopers make their own. I'd love to know which podcast was talking about hooping!

affectioknit said...

That sounds like fun...I used to hula-hoop and in Junior High when I was a gymnast, we did 'routines' with a hoop...I wonder if it's like riding a bike...

~Have a lovely day!

kristieinbc said...

I have a hoop from Hoopnotica and I love it! All I do is basic hula hooping though. I really wish someone would do a class where I live. I would sign up in a heartbeat. But, like you, I wouldn't like it if it was a touchy feel affair! :-) Enjoy your hoop!

Chelsea said...

Luckily I did not have any wrist and neck bruises to explain at work the next day, that would have been interesting!

Kaiya said...

I could never get the hang of hula hooping when I was a child - maybe I'll try it again now that I'm more body-coordinated!

Emily said...

I could never hoop around my waist but was awesome at all the other body parts as a child. A friend of mine tried to talk me into picking it up again a few years ago but I was resistant. Maybe I should try it again; you make it sound fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...